Tank Journal Archive

Nov 15, 2012
@leodb89 you have the ability to turn it on and off usually

what @Sam Parker Said...

I figured this is your best option. It also gives you the hammer option if you are struggling to drill trough on non hammer mode.

Generally the problem people have with hammer drills is the don't understand how its working and use incorrect pressures on the drill. With a sharp masonry drill bit, having the rock supported properly (Like on a mound of sand) and good positive pressure on the drill (Not too much) so it does not allow it too bounce around drilling rock should be a breeze and it should not crack.

Also a good idea to drill a smaller hole first (like 1/4") before your final size hole.

Good luck

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
@leodb89 you have the ability to turn it on and off usually

what @Sam Parker Said...

I figured this is your best option. It also gives you the hammer option if you are struggling to drill trough on non hammer mode.

Generally the problem people have with hammer drills is the don't understand how its working and use incorrect pressures on the drill. With a sharp masonry drill bit, having the rock supported properly (Like on a mound of sand) and good positive pressure on the drill (Not too much) so it does not allow it too bounce around drilling rock should be a breeze and it should not crack.

Also a good idea to drill a smaller hole first (like 1/4") before your final size hole.

Good luck

^^This is good advice^^

Nov 15, 2012
Slow is usually better. You just don't want the drill bouncing around. You need to apply enough pressure so it is just like a small vibration not so its acting like a rotating jack hammer.

Use high speed for metal generally.

Water does not hurt as advised by @Sam Parker However, I have never bothered unless I am using a diamond bit or doing a core hole.

Have a crack at it as it really comes down to what works for you :)

Good Luck

Ps: You could spend a metric shirt load on a drill but I think for your application the cheap Ozito is the way to go. If it blows up in 12mths take it back to bunnings and get a new one under warranty :):)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
So....here are the pics...I like the scape because I was picturing the corals I got loaded onto this, however last night when I was installing it I lost the imagination and was like "hmm I dunno about it" but then looking at these pics while uploading them I remembered the state of mind I was in when @NiCd and I were scaping.

We decided against the rods as a lot of corals i have are fairly high so it will fill up the scape, especially after they fluff up.

However to not feel bad for buying 10 metres off the stuff we used a total of 11cm of it, 4cm of it was scrapped lol

Aquascaping With Ads (5).JPG Aquascaping With Ads (7).JPG Aquascaping With Ads (9).JPG Aquascaping With Ads (10).JPG Aquascaping With Ads (13).JPG Aquascaping With Ads (14).JPG Aquascaping With Ads (15).JPG Aquascaping With Ads (17).JPG Aquascaping With Ads (23).JPG
Aquascaping With Ads (6).JPG Aquascaping With Ads (8).JPG Aquascaping With Ads (11).JPG Aquascaping With Ads (12).JPG Aquascaping With Ads (16).JPG Aquascaping With Ads (18).JPG Aquascaping With Ads (19).JPG Aquascaping With Ads (20).JPG Aquascaping With Ads (1).JPG Aquascaping With Ads (2).JPG Aquascaping With Ads (3).JPG Aquascaping With Ads (4).JPG Aquascaping With Ads (21).JPG Aquascaping With Ads (22).JPG Aquascaping With Ads (24).JPG Aquascaping With Ads (25).JPG

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Whilst it doesn't look like much I'm hoping with all this planning it will all look really good, I may need to frag some of the corals I have purchased to fit it all but I have never planned or worked on a tank to this extent I'm really hoping it turns out really well, as I'm really putting as much as I can into it, so if you guys have any advise at all please share it :)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Whoa. Thumbnail pictures ... Leo is a new man! Only took 30 seconds to load instead of 10 minutes.

:p

Scape looks awesome .. but what's the best representation of the finished article? This one?

If it's in the tank, I demand in-tank pics!

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Whoa. Thumbnail pictures ... Leo is a new man! Only took 30 seconds to load instead of 10 minutes.

:p

Scape looks awesome .. but what's the best representation of the finished article? This one?

If it's in the tank, I demand in-tank pics!
This is the best representation however I disturbed the sandbed and all the LR that was seeding the tank so it was a little cloudy.

This is the best I could do:

Cable Management (1).JPG

Cable Management (2).JPG

I cant wait to cover up that AquaKneed-It with something lol