Tank Journal Archive

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Time To Confess !!!
Hi all,
I have a confession.
Some of you may be dead against what we have done, some may say good on you.
So here goes.
As you know things have been going great with the tank and inhabitants. Very happy indeedy.
Hubby has been upset for some time about not having 2 yellow tangs (we had in previous tank and sold )
The guy who bought them from us offered them back but wanted almost double what he paid us because he pointed out "very rare to get two that get along ".
So we talked for a long time and decided that it was worth the risk and we would have a try. But were also trying to work out the best way to spread any aggression , so it wouldn't be all directed at the one fish. We were worried about the White Cheek Tang and existing yellow & purple tangs in particular.

So about 3 weeks ago, we purchased 3 new fish.
We got another yellow, Yellow Eyed Kole Tang and a Sailfin Tang.
We brought them home, acclimated them and put them in the tank.
We sat and we waited. It didn't take long for the Purple tang to take a complete dislike to all 3 newbies, he didn't just chase he hammered taking turns one by one, so within 10 mins we had him in the sump. (for time out and try again later)
No other fish including the other yellow tang really cared.
With purple gone, the tank calmed and the newbies started swimming around. But the other yellow then took a dislike to the new yellow.
Would not hit him but over the next week was keeping him in the corner and he was even stopping him from eating.
So we made the decision to sell the purple and not try to re-introduce to the tank and we would catch the old yellow and sump him instead. (for a time out period)

So that's what we did. Purple went to a good home around the corner to a reefer I know well.
We removed the old yellow the new yellow tang then started eating and enjoying the tank.
We had resigned ourselves that this was not going to work and we had sold the purple for no reason and we would only be able to have 1 yellow after all.

A very exp. guy who used to own a local LFS (and new purple tang owner) came over for a coffee he saw the yellow in time out, i obviously asked if it would get better, he said I don't think so with just 2.
Why not chuck a 3rd in there, that will fix it almost guaranteed.

So the next morning we went to LFS bought a 3rd yellow tang about the same size and put him in the tank with the old one in time out (at the same time)

Its has now been a week and bingo, he was right, we cracked it.
They are swimming together, eating together and 2 are actually sleeping together.

The Kole tang and Sailfin are healthy, eating and mixing it with the bigger tangs no problems.
The Kole has even started hand feeding with the big boys.
They are both very small about 6cm, but are mixing it up very nicely with the much larger ones.

Tank is calm, friendly and a joy to watch. Interestly the White Cheek Tang has taken top dog stop int he tank, no other fish as given a second look at any of the newbies.

So this is now our tank 100% complete. no more additions of fish. Hubby is happy as am I.

Always on the look out for more coarls but NO MORE FISH

IMG_0451.JPG
IMG_0456.JPG
IMG_0529.JPG
IMG_0528.JPG

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Kudos to you both :worship

oh, and i secretly die a little inside when i view your gorgeous tank :cry he he

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I am doing much the same thing with a crossed group of tangs, why do people feel against what you are doing? You are keeping healthy happy fish.
I suppose a lot of people try to mix tangs & maybe aren't as vigilant. We won't put up with aggression but some people do. Maybe they don't care. I think that's why some people get upset & I do understand it. There are less caring owners who don't think about a fish living in fear as we do. But I have actually been scared to say anything which is stupid really. Thanks

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Kudos to you both :worship

oh, and i secretly die a little inside when i view your gorgeous tank :cry he he
Oh. Thank you. We realise this mix may not continue to work as they mature but we will enjoy it for the time we have. Once again - thank you

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
But I have actually been scared to say anything which is stupid really ...
This is The Reefuge don't forget - you are amongst friends ;)

The guy who bought them from us offered them back but wanted almost double what he paid us because he pointed out "very rare to get two that get along ".
Sorry, but I consider that worse than trying to mix tangs!! Did you ask about buying them back, or he offered?

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
This is The Reefuge don't forget - you are amongst friends ;)

Sorry, but I consider that worse than trying to mix tangs!! Did you ask about buying them back, or he offered?
We asked him if we could buy them back. Because hubby was missing yellows in tank. And really wanted 2 that got along again

Ziggy

Jul 6, 2015
Adelaide
So glad you got it all organised and that the tank is now a peaceful tank with big happy fish family. Good on you for watching them so closely and stopping the aggression.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
If the tang police give you any shit, I wanna know about it because in the tang police's case I'll become the stone cold cop killah. That REALLY annoys me. What works for one, might not work for another. I have 4 small Powders in another run and they're happy as clams. By all accounts there should be PB fillets in there, but they pick at the rocks and stay to their space. You have to know what to look for and have a plan of action if the shit gets real. I could see if Lesley and Steve were my neighbors, I'd go into the shop and all my tangs would be gone, lol!! :D

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Keep the updates coming Leslie, the successes and the failures. You are going about this with the well being of the animals keenly in mind so I don't see any problems.

All you have to do is watch a nature documentary that shows tangs schooling to work out they would prefer some company of their own kind than none at all. The challenge is how to do it in the space we are able to provide. By sharing what you are learning you are helping others in the hobby who may want to do the same.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
That's cool , good to hear it's working out. :D and for the tang police I once had 5 different Centropyge living together just fine.

Can't believe that story about jacking up the price for a pair of tangs.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Keep the updates coming Leslie, the successes and the failures. You are going about this with the well being of the animals keenly in mind so I don't see any problems.

All you have to do is watch a nature documentary that shows tangs schooling to work out they would prefer some company of their own kind than none at all. The challenge is how to do it in the space we are able to provide. By sharing what you are learning you are helping others in the hobby who may want to do the same.
I appreciate that @Agent M
As you know we have failed miserably as well, I don't just talk about my success I am more than honest about the stupid things I have done too.
And believe me there has been a few.
I wonder when you stop being classed as a "NEWBIE" and become a "P" plate ?? lol

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
What really annoys me sometimes is when people are criticized for buying fish that will eventually outgrow their tank after several years when I know there are many people who I think aren't prepared to look after a fish are buying them buy the thousands and the fish will probably be dead within a week. In the first case, at least if the fish lives to outgrow a tank, there is bound to be a new owner that can accommodate it. The second case is that so many fish won't even get to grow to a decent size. Yet people are argue so much about the first case...

I was in an aquarium shop a little while ago and this older guy comes in and just keeps saying, yeah, I have that one, and that one and that one etc. It was only when the shop keeper said, look, I think that will be enough for now, that the silly bugger didn't ask for any more. He looked to me to be the type that probably has fish dying all the time, but come the weekend things, "I'd gonna buy me some new fish! Yeah, let's do it!"

I have a yellow tank in a 3 footer and I hope it defies all odds and stays below 15cm because my nieces would cry if they visited and it wasn't in the tank. And when they cry, it's a real shit to get them to stop.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Also, I have a twin spot tang in the same tank, but it will probably have to go as it is a fast and great swimmer (as compared to the yellow tang that cruises).

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Oh Lesley, you're so silly for worrying. As Shane said, you're among friends here, you could make an update saying you've added a monkey with a snorkel to the tank and we wouldn't judge! Maybe if you'd stolen it from the zoo though :P although I'd be impressed to be honest.
You're one of the most dedicated and caring reefers I've seen. And certainly the most diligent with keeping the peace and making sure that everyone is happy and healthy, so I have no doubt that even with a heap of tangs they're all in top health and loving life simply because you so dedicated to your tank, corals and fish :)
I mean some/most of us can't judge anyway :) look at my tank lol I only have the little cube and packed into that is a bellus angel (who's recommended size is twice my tank) that lives peacefully with a dwarf angel, a new kole tang which is an extra half on the tank in requirements but has settled in like a champ. I also have a pair of hawks living in harmony with a cleaner shrimp and a wrasse that's going to grow to half a foot and need some decent swimming room lol
That all being said, I have no aggression aside from the occasional nip, everyone is happy and calm and no one is stressed.

The "rule and regulations" set out in this hobby are fairly antiquated these days and with the proper care and attention a lot of them simply become guidelines or good starting points lol especially for reefers like you that have move well out of the newbie stage ;) I mean look at those goni's!! They're friggin STUNNING :D you can definitely call yourself experienced ;)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
What the hell is a "P" plate?
It's a restricted drivers license that everyone has from 18-22 here. Passenger limits, blood alcohol limits and power limits apply during this period lol its to make things a little safer during the highest danger period

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Here there is a ZERO tolerance policy for drunk driving under 21. You'll be in DEEP shit if you get caught underage here. It means you'll have a provisional license for a lot longer and I don't want to think about what your insurance rates would be after a DD conviction.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Here there is a ZERO tolerance policy for drunk driving under 21. You'll be in DEEP shit if you get caught underage here. It means you'll have a provisional license for a lot longer and I don't want to think about what your insurance rates would be after a DD conviction.
Our laws on drink driving are fairly harsh here as well, especially during the probation "P-plate" period. Particularly because the driving and drinking age start at the same time lol