Tank Journal Archive

timtam

Jul 5, 2013
Glenroy 3046
Tim's First 3ft reef tank
Hi im new to this forum and reefing but have 2 other tanks one fully planted and one raising discus.
In this thread i will post each step in the development of my tank so if i encounter problems which i will:banghead, someone might find what I’ve done wrong in this thread.
Also I’m a big DIYer so you will see all of my projects.
ai1251.photobucket.com_albums_hh544_timgia1_P1020492_zpsc1bc1dad.jpg

Painted back and side of tank black also insulated with Styrofoam silicone on, drilled tank and table, glued in weir and fitted bulk head and placed stand pipe. Tank filled with freshwater to test for leaks.
ai1251.photobucket.com_albums_hh544_timgia1_P1020473_zpsc75cf984.jpg

Modded sump for marine got marine sources SDP-900 skimmer. Using old return pump don’t know brand one 1000l/h pump and one 2000l/h.Dont know if i sould just run one of the pumps or both?
ai1251.photobucket.com_albums_hh544_timgia1_P1020494_zps45d58f3d.jpg
Added 20kg of coral sand (2-3mm)
ai1251.photobucket.com_albums_hh544_timgia1_P1020496_zpsa06dceaf.jpg
Also added 40kg live base rock.
ai1251.photobucket.com_albums_hh544_timgia1_P1020581_zps191b25c8.jpg
Tank 2 weeks later changed rock around a bit.
ai1251.photobucket.com_albums_hh544_timgia1_P1020608_zpsc8d2c8ae.jpg
Got a blue tang and a orange shoulder tang. not sure if these fish are right for my tank. Local fish shop has good point that the blue tang will be an indicator of water quality but im scared of having two tangs in my 3ft tank. Fish have been in tank for 1 week now both eating and doing well also water quality is very good there has only been trace amounts of ammonia and nitrite.
ai1251.photobucket.com_albums_hh544_timgia1_P1020655_zps15ad6a85.jpg
Now two days later there has been the usule diatom bloom:cry tank looks ugly now.

Last edited:

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
diatoms will exhaust their nutrient supply and disappear. I am sure that you have already heard this, but it is not advisable to cycle a tank with tangs in it. They are sensitive to pollutants and the cycle stage causes elevated levels of ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, etc., all of which are harmful to fish in general. If these fish do live through the tank cycle, their life spans are likely to be significantly reduced as a result of the stress endured during the 'cycle'.

Cosby

May 14, 2013
Timtam, is there someone who can look after the fish for you while you cycle the tank?

As the Doc suggests, it's not the best practice to put the fish through the phases of a cycle.

timtam

Jul 5, 2013
Glenroy 3046
As for water parameters
pH= 8.4
salinity= 1.025
ammonia= 0ppm
nitrate= 0ppm
nitrite= 3-4ppm
This is what they have been from beginning except for pH which was a little low, so fish have not been suffering from what I can tell also both fish are swimming around and eating.
Regarding to the tank being too small, I agree that 2 tangs is too much but would like to keep the blue tang as LFS has a 3ft tank that has a blue tang in it and has been living in it for 4-5 years, it looks very nice and healthy.
I know no other person that could care for the marine fish even though I don't think it is necessary at this point in time.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
As for water parameters
pH= 8.4
salinity= 1.025
ammonia= 0ppm
nitrate= 0ppm
nitrite= 3-4ppm
This is what they have been from beginning except for pH which was a little low, so fish have not been suffering from what I can tell also both fish are swimming around and eating.
Regarding to the tank being too small, I agree that 2 tangs is too much but would like to keep the blue tang as LFS has a 3ft tank that has a blue tang in it and has been living in it for 4-5 years, it looks very nice and healthy.
I know no other person that could care for the marine fish even though I don't think it is necessary at this point in time.
Curious which LFS you are referring to?

timtam

Jul 5, 2013
Glenroy 3046
The blue tang can grow big but the one at LFS is only 10-12cm in 4-5 years so I have plenty of time to find a new home for him or upgrade to a bigger tank.
I'm referring to V & L aquarium in Preston.
Also the yellow colored tank is a orange shoulder tang.

timtam

Jul 5, 2013
Glenroy 3046
I'm Glad u like the scape and yes I am planning to put in many soft corals. well soft corals for a start.
I know the fish will have to move as they grow, I only get attached to corals and plants.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
It means you aren't listening to the advice given.....You are reducing the lifespan of the fish by cycling a tank with them and also a 3ft tank is no place for a tang. Your LFS is lying to you to make a sale. I would strongly recommend finding a new LFS. It may sound harsh but its the reality.

timtam

Jul 5, 2013
Glenroy 3046
It means you aren't listening to the advice given.....You are reducing the lifespan of the fish by cycling a tank with them and also a 3ft tank is no place for a tang. Your LFS is lying to you to make a sale. I would strongly recommend finding a new LFS. It may sound harsh but its the reality.

Please don’t call my LFS owner a liar, he believes that they are fine in my tank. There is no science to what size tank for what size fish, it is just our own opinion. it doesn’t matter how you look at it taking a fish from 300,000 km² reef and putting it in a 3ft or even a 6ft tank is cruel to the fish.
Also i regularly go to 4 fish shops which are all trying to make a profit and believe in different things.

timtam

Jul 5, 2013
Glenroy 3046
This post should be the end of this conversation on the tangs and tank cycle.
i have conclude that the nitrogen cycle is keeping up with the bio-load. in the first 2 days of tanks life ammonia was 5+ ppm over the next 3-4 days ammonia slowly dropped and nitrite raised over 5 ppm then the nitrite dropped to 0 in two days from then on nitrate was at around 5 ppm ammonia at 0ppm and nitrite at 0ppm for the next week, then fish were added.
The tangs will be moved/sold after they settle down and when i have time to find someone that has a big tank to keep these fish.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
good to see that you are finding alternative homes for the tangs. The community here will be more than happy to help you out with issues as they arise. However, if in doubt, please ask questions BEFORE purchases. All the best with this system.

timtam

Jul 5, 2013
Glenroy 3046
Over the last few days I have noticed that the diatom algae has been dying rapidly.
Top right hand side rock is now totally white again:). sorry glass is a bit dirty.
ai1251.photobucket.com_albums_hh544_timgia1_P1020714_zps6d0fd325.jpg

Water parameters have not changed and fish are doing well.
My Mum and I(really just my Mum I just stared in amazement at how she worked the sawing machine) made a curtains to cover up the sump and other bits.
It makes the tank look better because you are not distracted by what is going on beneath and the mess under there.
ai1251.photobucket.com_albums_hh544_timgia1_P1020711_zpsd717ab1d.jpg

Just one question should I post here about my DIY LED project or start another thread in appropriate section?