Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Topic Of The Month Oct 2011 Nano and Pico marine aquariums
Topic of the month
October
Written By Matt Green

Nano and Pico marine aquariums
attachment.jpg

Will Nano Marine Aquariums be the next big thing? What is the definition of a Nano Aquarium?

A Nano Marine Aquarium is typically 150L or less. Of recent times it seems as though Nano marine aquariums are becoming more and more popular as the seasons change. It seems as though Nano reefs are becoming a popular option as a starting point for a Marine Newbie.
Nano aquariums can be a cheap and affordable way for some enthusiasts to test themselves as well as newbies looking to get into the hobby. As we all know marine fish tanks aren’t the cheapest hobby. Amazing results can still be achieved without the most high end equipment. All that is essentially required is sufficient knowledge of the workings of a marine reef and how to keep the ecosystem running with minimal costs and maximum efficiency.

Do Nanos still require maintenance?

YES, Nano aquariums still need the full maintenance that a large fish tank requires, maintenance entails weekly skimmer cup cleaning, daily/weekly glass cleaning, surface scum removal, salt creep removal, carbon changes and most importantly water changes
Water changes are a Nanos best friend. They will ensure the balance of trace elements and minerals are sustained in the tank, often in Nanos weekly 25% - 50% changes will suffice at keeping levels stable within the aquarium.

Should I use Natural salt water or artificial salt water?

Both AFSW and NSW are fine for use in a Nano aquarium. If NSW can easily be stored it is always a cheaper option then a good quality salt.
Personally I choose to use AFSW for my water changes.
I have two main reasons for this
1-i am too lazy to go collect water weekly for water changes
2-i can’t store any more salt water then 20L at my house.
For me I find it easiest to mix up my 20L of water using a quality salt mix with RO water and only make enough for the weekly water changes I complete.

If I use AFSW what salt should I use?

There are many brands of marine grade salt available. It all depends on personal preference. More details on salt and their reviews can be found on the forums
Some brands worth mentioning are
-reefers best salt
-red sea and red sea coral pro
-tropic Marin
-H20
Poor quality salt not only has trouble mixing but also doesn’t have a lot of the added trace elements that good quality salts has. Best to try avoid the cheapest stuff!

Filtration

Proper filtration is often the down side to Nanos, where do I put all this gear? Is the first question that comes to mind.
There are 3 real options when it comes to this
-a sumpless tank with a heater and pumps hidden behind live rock.
-a sumpless tank with a back chamber that has be modified to fit equipment such as skimmers, pumps and media
-a tank with a sump below or near the tank to house all the equipment.
Now before we get into details here is my personal opinion (note my opinions are only opinions and all other ways can work! I am just expressing what has worked best for me)
In a tank under 100L I prefer to see the tank sumpless with a back section dedicated to hiding equipment and running gear.
Why do I think this is best? I just believe a Nano is a Nano, it should be small compact and easily manageable and even easily movable. I find once we start putting sumps on tanks having dedicated cabinets with piping etc. it can sometimes take away from the small Nano design. Before you all say “but it looks cleaner with a sump below the tank” here is my reason why I like it this way.
I like the idea of being able to put the tank on a kitchen bench (making sure that it is structurally sound and can hold the weight of course) setting it all up without plumbing everywhere without holes in the table. I like to be able to look behind the main section of the tank and see everything working away while taking up minimal space. But still being able to sit it on a bench or table. There are many great examples of this type of aquarium.

Some examples are
-red sea max 130d
-skimz nano ibox
-aqua reefs
-boyu aquariums

I believe any of the 3 Nano designs will work and will work well, but I believe the setups using back chambers or a sump design will always look a lot neater and suit the end user in a more effective way. Let’s face it who wants equipment everywhere in the display tank?

But what do I actually need in my tank to keep nutrient levels to a minimum?

Now this is where there is no definite answer. There are multiple ways you can achieve a sustainable healthy reef aquarium. By far the most common method is to use bacterial filtration in the form of live rock and deep sand beds. Other options are protein skimmers, filter socks, Macro refugiums the list goes on!

Here’s a very well worded paragraph from Wikipedia
“Many Nano reef aquarists prefer their displays to be as natural-looking as possible, and therefore choose to use as few mechanical filtration methods as possible. A primary filtration method in Nano reefs is live rock and live sand, which are pieces of rock and sand that have broken from the coral reef and are populated with beneficial bacteria and other organisms that aid in breaking down organic wastes produced by larger organisms in the Nano reef. Other Nano reef aquarists use devices such as protein skimmers to remove excess waste from the aquarium, before it has a chance to be broken down to nitrate. Removing the excess wastes mechanically can reduce the frequency of water changes needed to keep nitrate levels low.”

Lighting

Now this is the bit that excites everyone the most. Recent leaps in technology has allowed high power led lighting to be an affordable and cost effective method of lighting up your Nano reef aquarium.
Sure you can use power compacts, small t5’s or even metal halides but the question is do we really need to?
High power led lighting has proven itself now over and over again that it can sustain coral life. Although correct spectrum leds should be used.
The advantages of the use of high power leds in a Nano situation are prenominal. Low heat. Low power drain, intense light output, sunrise sunset functionality DIY custom jobs are definitely a cheap option.
Personally I wouldn’t use any other form for lighting up a Nano aquarium. High power led lighting is just too great to pass up! (even an incandescent light bulb will sustain low light coral life, don’t laugh a friend had a thriving tank using them!)

For DIY LED build tutorial’s check out the DIY section.

Circulation

Circulation in your Nano aquarium is very important. Gas exchange occurs as water flows over a coral. Flow (circulation) also helps stir up detritus from settling on the sand bed or between rocks and corals this gives the tanks filtration setup a chance to remove the sediment in the water in turn creating an overall healthier tank.

Challenges associated with small reef aquariums

Below Another well written paragraph off Wikipedia

“Because of the small water volume, Nano reef aquariums require extra attention to water quality compared to aquariums of larger water volumes. Many experienced reef aquarists recommend testing the water twice weekly, with water changes at least every week. In particular, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, salinity, alkalinity, calcium and phosphate levels should be monitored closely. When it comes to Nano reefs, even minute changes in water conditions such as mild temperature fluctuations can be problematic, whereas the greater water volume of larger aquariums provides a more stable and flexible environment.
Nano reefs also require extra care in the selection of occupants. There are two major factors to be considered: biological load, i.e. the ability of the tank to process the wastes produced by the occupants, and species compatibility. These issues, though present in larger tanks, are magnified in the Nano tank. Species considered reef safe and able to coexist in larger tanks may not do well in a Nano tank due to their close physical proximity. For this reason, smaller species of fish such as gobies and clownfish are popular choices due to their relatively small size and ability to coexist peacefully with other tank inhabitants.”

Recommended Water Chemistry
Salinity 1.022–1.025
Temperature: 25-26 degrees Celsius
Ammonia (NH3): 0 ppm
Nitrite (NO2–): 0 ppm
Nitrate (NO3–): 0–10 ppm
Phosphate (PO4–3): 0 ppm
PH: 8.2–8.6
Calcium (Ca2+): 400–450 ppm
Alkalinity: 7–12 dKH
Remember that Alkalinity calcium and magnesium levels should be kept in balance with one another.

How do I cool my Nano, I don’t want a Chiller?

There are a few options regarding this. The main issue is tank size. I have found in a small tank (under 100L) a simple setup of a few computer fans blowing over the surface of the water was more then effective enough at keeping the water below 26 degrees Celsius
There are a few problems with this method.
-you need to have a temp controller rigged up with the fans so it doesn’t always stay on as it will often over chill the tank and cause the heater to be on excessively
-water evaporation will be increased on a dramatic scale.
-fans are often ugly when not installed in a nice way

What other options do I have?

Ice probes are another option. They are similar to a chiller but use a chilling probe that is powered by electricity to chill the tank down. These are only really effective in smaller systems, they also have to be installed correctly so they don’t fall into the water. This is an expensive option as the price of one of these units is practically the same price as a small chiller.

Will I still need a heater for my Nano?

Yes you will still need a heater! There is also the option of small heater heat pads used for reptiles. For small tanks I have seen them stuck to the back of the glass and seem to be sufficient. This keeps cords and hardware out of the tank.

Picture and video of the Nano tank has been taken from
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/4/aquarium

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
awesome read, I have actually been considering starting up a 70L I have sitting here since my 4ft is a fair way off due to money constraints with a little one on the way (end of year hopefully) and to also get some experience up with keeping marine. This is just pushing me a little closer. I think I pretty much have everything here to do it also