New To Reefing

Oct 30, 2015
Topping Up Sand
Hi, fairly new to this having had a crack about 20 years ago.
I've inherited a tank with live rock and sand. Tank is a Nuvo 16 by IM.
Running the IM skimmer with Poly Filter in the caddies and Marine Pure in the return tank.
Everything has cycled again but am wondering if it's ok to add a bit more sand.
The covering I have now is less than say 2.5cm.
I have some fish stock but looking to add LPS soon.
Thanks

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I've added clean washed sand a number of times and had no serious side effects.
Add a bit at a time
I found the best way is to have the sand dry and use about a 25mm clear plastic hose that reaches the bottom with a funnel at the top then you can pour the sand into the areas you want without it going all over the place.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Personally, if you currently have an average depth of 2.5cm, I wouldn't be adding any more. Unless you go really deep to create some anoxic zones to convert nitrates (and there are now lots of easier ways to reduce nitrate levels) any more than what you currently have will just become a detritus trap which will be difficult to keep clean.

Oct 30, 2015
Great tip on using the hose and funnel.
Appreciate the reply.

I've added clean washed sand a number of times and had no serious side effects.
Add a bit at a time
I found the best way is to have the sand dry and use about a 25mm clear plastic hose that reaches the bottom with a funnel at the top then you can pour the sand into the areas you want without it going all over the place.

Oct 30, 2015
Fair call.
I reckon I'll hold off based on the advice.
Thanks

Personally, if you currently have an average depth of 2.5cm, I wouldn't be adding any more. Unless you go really deep to create some anoxic zones to convert nitrates (and there are now lots of easier ways to reduce nitrate levels) any more than what you currently have will just become a detritus trap which will be difficult to keep clean.