Tank Journal Archive

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Transferring Live Rock And Live Stock
I was hoping that because I am adding the live rock and live stock from my existing tank, a major cycle won’t occur. So, after one week of cycling the coral sand, I tested the water which showed zero ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

I then added all the live rock and live stock, along with an additional 75 litres of water.

I installed the following equipment:

· Two Tunze 6045 pumps

· 100 watt Jager heater

· Aqua Medic Blue 500 skimmer

· Maxspect RAZOR 16000 K 160 watt light

I don’t intend to use the sump at the moment and will run the Aquamedic skimmer for now. I know this is a small skimmer compared to what everyone else uses, but with appropriate water changes that skimmer has maintained my previous system’s nitrate levels at 1ppm, which is good enough for me.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Here are some tank shots taken over the past couple of weeks.

You can see that I have gone with aquascaping using predominantly large pieces of solid rock and designed to have large verticals, a teeth-like scape to enable water circulation and to give my Yellow Tank numerous routes to swim about. I also designed a man-cave for my Yellow Tang.

In front of the man-cave sits a gazebo constructed from a flat piece that has the two branching hammers. I am not sure whether I should leave that in place as it obscures the polythoas behind it and really is not aesthetically pleasing. But, it does serve a really good purpose in sheltering the tang.

Attachments

Last edited:

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
My Strombus snail buried itself as soon as I introduced it and has stayed underground for the past two weeks.

It likes to watch.... Just like I do...

Attachments

Last edited:

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I have been doing approximately 30% water changes using "old" water I took from my old tank some two weeks ago. I tested my water parameters on the weekend and they are as follows:

KH: 9.2
Ammonia: 0.00-0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: approx 1.5

It seems the system is reducing my nitrates, which is a good sign (they would have been atleast 3 otherwise).

I have some diatoms in some areas of the coral sand and I have some thick algae growth on parts of my live rock. I am not concerned about any of this at this stage - in fact I am happy to see it and hope the Yellow Tang will do its job and eat some algae.

My two urchins are starting to get stuck into the algae, but they only do a few square centrimetres each night.

I do have some warfare between adjacent corals and so I will be relocating some of my mushrooms.

Attachments

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I forgot to list the live stock!

So, I have the following:

Yellow Tang

Coral Beauty

Pair Ocellaris Clownfish

Trio Orange Striped Cardinal Fish

Melanurus Wrasse

Alfeleis Fringefin Goby

Pair Rock Boring Urchins

Turbo Snail

Strombus Snail

Pair Crabs

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Hi Mate ,
You should be OK.
I think the trick is with your Live rock if it was exposed to light make sure that piece gets an equal amount of light.
IMO , if the bacteria was growing with or without light keep it the same and you will get less die off.

I did the same thing a few months back and didn't alter any of the parameters . I also used a shit load of Marine pure.

P.S congrats on the new tank!

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Hi Mate ,
You should be OK.
I think the trick is with your Live rock if it was exposed to light make sure that piece gets an equal amount of light.
IMO , if the bacteria was growing with or without light keep it the same and you will get less die off.

I did the same thing a few months back and didn't alter any of the parameters . I also used a shit load of Marine pure.

P.S congrats on the new tank!
Thanks mate,

Last year I had sold off some of my live rock and corals and kept all I wanted for the new tank. I arranged the rockwork then in pretty much the same configuration I have now and they were under the same light and had the same pumps and same skimmer.

So, the only difference has been the re introduction of coral sand and a new tank.

I've got to say that the whole thing looks so much better with coral sand, in my opinion.