Reef Discussion

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Tried The Nyos Test Kit
I have been a Salifert user for quite a while now, but lately have had some difficulty in getting hold of the Magnesium test kit.
My LFS suggested I try the German product NYOS.
It works virtually the same as the Salifert kit, with an accurate measurement at the end.
The only trouble is, I did one test with the Salifert and got a reading of 1260 and then immediately did a NYOS and got a reading of 1410.
This is a substantial difference and left me wondering which one to believe. I usually strive for in the middle of those with 1350.
Anyone else using the NYOS?

61LomzyMyvL._SL1000_.jpg

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
not using nyos mag test, but have used a couple of them. They seem to be basically identical to salifert (except for alk which is the same, but uses drops instead of a more accurate method).

I'd trust whichever has the longest time till expiry, or compare against someone else's kit. Or ultimately, compare against triton?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
not using nyos mag test, but have used a couple of them. They seem to be basically identical to salifert (except for alk which is the same, but uses drops instead of a more accurate method).

I'd trust whichever has the longest time till expiry, or compare against someone else's kit. Or ultimately, compare against triton?
Yep, I think I was going to let the expiry date be a main factor.

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
I use Nyos for Mag (same problem couldn't find a Salifert anywhere) and didn't notice a huge variance, in fact they were quite similar IIRC.