Tank Journal Archive

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Trouble
Well...all i can really say is im in trouble. Add onto that that im an idiot as well.
Cycle complete check
First fish check
Then everything under the name of the sun including a nem...check

Well im in for a struggle soon and i know that much but for now we are cruising.
With a baserock start and a drop off look to the scape weve got a good looking tank.
A pair of percs a scooter blenny and a yellow coral goby are the current inhabitants. 10 different colours of morph making up my morph garden. 3 different acans making up the acan rock (really wanting ome more to fill the gap) a hammer, 2 heads of torch, a short polyp goni and some sps frags make up the corals. A short 2 minute drive from my salt water collection point makes for easy water changes and im doing about 20% twice a week.
Ammonia less than 0.1ppm
Nitrates at 5ppm
Po4 at 0.01ppm
Consistently so im happy with my water change routine.
Still working on a few different ideas etc for tank equipment (really want to get a better skimmer).
But for now my main focus is keeping ontop of the water changes and keeping my eye out for the near inevitable crash or spike that is yet to come from rushing into it.
So far though im surprising myself. The acro and b nest frags are already showing signs of nice growth. The goni has near doubled in size and I've still got that bivalve poking out of the bit of rock.
20170811_125423.jpg

Ill try and get some more photos up later

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Nice Nano Garden:)
Yes you will run into multiple cycles by doing 2 x 20 percent changes a week.
Better to change between 10 and 20 percent once a week and monitor element depletion with test kits over a three week period and then work out suitable dosing regime- my 5cents worth of input -your tank mate whatever works.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Nice Nano Garden:)
Yes you will run into multiple cycles by doing 2 x 20 percent changes a week.
Better to change between 10 and 20 percent once a week and monitor element depletion with test kits over a three week period and then work out suitable dosing regime- my 5cents worth of input -your tank mate whatever works.
You think 1 a week would be suitable? I rushed into it pretty hard so have been doing 2 a week, after i feed the corals a mix of reef roids and phyto, to keep on top of the increased bio load from rushing into it.
But happy to go down to 1ce a week. Or 2x10% means collecting water will be monthly not fortnightly.

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Slow down mate. Your trying to stave off a potential that hasnt happened yet, and in doing so may very well aid it in happening.

Nothing good happens quickly in the hobby!

Go slow, just monitor it, do a single WC weekly (as above), keep it clean, dont over feed.

Tank is looking nice though :)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Was going to add that dumping in a heap of coral is better than one or two a month.
My reasoning is that more coral less algae as it's the coral that take up the nutrients and leave less for algae.. I kinda read your post and concentrated on the water change.
I you did a continuous water change that would be the ultimate methodology.