Tank Journal Archive

Wallypops

Apr 13, 2017
Tunze 9001 Skimmer Problems
So I got a Tunze 9001 Skimmer for my 2foot tank and I'm not sure it's doing all that much. It has been running for about 3 weeks now and I'm still getting very white clean foam, foam spilling out of the cup, the cup filling up within 5 minutes, bubbles all around the skilmmer. I've been told by the lfs to wait it out and it'll all get better. But surely after almost 3 weeks I would have seen some difference right? Help!

Attachments

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Skimmer looks to be waaaaay too low in the water. You want the water line to be about 1cm above the bottom of the intake grill. Yours looks to have the water completely over the op of the grill if I am looking at the pics correctly.

Wallypops

Apr 13, 2017
Tunze 9001 Skimmer Problems

Hey mate Skimmer has a water level mark on it I've put the skimmer higher than it needs to be. So just not sure what's happening. How far up the skimmer cup does the foam need to rise? Does it need to flow out or just push up half way?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
and yep sorry, the 9001 doesn't have the intake grill I was thinking of (hence why it wasn't above the water line... hahahaha)

Sounds like you might just need to play with the air intake a little to drop the water height internally in the skimmer

Wallypops

Apr 13, 2017
and yep sorry, the 9001 doesn't have the intake grill I was thinking of (hence why it wasn't above the water line... hahahaha)

Sounds like you might just need to play with the air intake a little to drop the water height internally in the skimmer
Thanks so much man

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I have one too. Air intake needs adjustment as said above.

I still have many micro bubbles in my tank and I have had the skimmer a few months now.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
If you have much evaporation so that your water level drops you do have to adjust the height of the skimmer.

I had an Aquamedic turboflotor 500 before this and I thought the Aquamedic was better cause it has a bigger cup and seemed to collect a more concentrated skimmate.

But, I am also still getting use to the 9001.

Wallypops

Apr 13, 2017
If you have much evaporation so that your water level drops you do have to adjust the height of the skimmer.

I had an Aquamedic turboflotor 500 before this and I thought the Aquamedic was better cause it has a bigger cup and seemed to collect a more concentrated skimmate.

But, I am also still getting use to the 9001.
I just moved the tank to another room and now has stopped working again just when it seemed to get going. Its doing my head in trying to adjust it and so on. Hope itll come good! Thanks for the advice.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
When you disturb your tank and corals, ie by moving the tank altogether or by just moving a few rocks or corals here and there, you stir up shit that causes the skimmer to go berserk for a while. Even just a water change will cause some of my corals to give off mucous that goes into the skimmer and makes it overflow.

I just let it go and keep emptying as required.

It will settle.

As I said earlier, I still get micro bubbles in my tank. I don't care about them now. One advantage of having them in the tank is that the micro bubbles saturate mucous and cause the mucous to rise to the surface. This removes the mucous from the system and stops it irritating other corals (which can be really bad, especially if you have Hydnophora like I do). Cause our skimmers have the overflow tube, the bubblated mucous gets sucked into the skimmer.

Wallypops

Apr 13, 2017
When you disturb your tank and corals, ie by moving the tank altogether or by just moving a few rocks or corals here and there, you stir up shit that causes the skimmer to go berserk for a while. Even just a water change will cause some of my corals to give off mucous that goes into the skimmer and makes it overflow.

I just let it go and keep emptying as required.

It will settle.

As I said earlier, I still get micro bubbles in my tank. I don't care about them now. One advantage of having them in the tank is that the micro bubbles saturate mucous and cause the mucous to rise to the surface. This removes the mucous from the system and stops it irritating other corals (which can be really bad, especially if you have Hydnophora like I do). Cause our skimmers have the overflow tube, the bubblated mucous gets sucked into the skimmer.
Thanks Savage, its one of those things I guess when you havent used one before you dont know when its working and when it not and when its working well and when its not. I suppose its just a learning tank. Hows the tank going?

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
My tank's going fine. A bit of cyano growing, but nothing too bad.

Skimmer seems to be doing it's job. Still micro bubbles in tank, but I had that with the Aqua Medic and they don't worry me. Nitrates sit on about 3, phosphates are very high, which is normal for my tank.