Reef Discussion

athawoot

Sep 16, 2015
Ulns And Zoas
Over the past few months my system has been running pretty much next to no nitrate (undetectable on Red Sea nitrate pro test kit) and 0 p04 on Hanna checker. My sps are doing really well but I feel as if my zoas aren't as happy as they could be although bright and open well, some colonies seem smaller then normal. To combat the lack of nutrients as I know they like Alittle N, I try feeding reef roids 2 times a week and I also ad polyp lab colours every day. Just wondering what others are doing if running ulns and keeping zoas to keep them happy and get good growth?

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
Try dosing Aminoacids daily.

I had the same issue with all softies and some LPS. While Reefroids helped, their colours only came back after I started dosing AA, specially Zoas.

athawoot

Sep 16, 2015
Yeh I'm dosing colours which is amino acids,
I run radions on spab+ schedule lengthened one hour and around an hour and a half more between ramp up and down.

athawoot

Sep 16, 2015
Zoas don't like ultra clean systems.
I've actually seen more success then failure thus far in various colonies and in no way would I say I am unhappy with the growth Im currently achieving. Which makes me think that zoas can do well with little to no N, so I'm more interested to know what others do to combat a lack of N to further enhance my current growth. Every colony is different and I won't say that all my colonies like next to no N lol cause I'd be lying lol but a lot of them don't seem to mind at all.

E

ezza

Stirring up your substrate can be helpful. It lets the trapped detritus waft around to feed the LPS, it doesn't cause harm as long as you don't smother corals with piles of sand or mulm.