Reef Discussion

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
There ain't a damn coral in the ocean that I'd pay for than $100 for, NONE. And I see people blow $6000+ on a damn Ricordea. I guess if it makes you happy, have at it.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
yeah I don't get it.... The coral is nice, but I wouldn't take it at $120 at my LFS. That being said, with auctions - there is no one to blame but the bidders.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
How about fish? would you go for $$$ for fish? The reason I call it due to Lennardi that was seems to be on demand past weeks or so ...

Their survival rate is very poor in captivity from what I heard and with that price tag, boy ...!!!

https://www.facebook.com/WestsideAquariumandSupplies/

Is it just me or does this seem .. not justified at the price ?
Who is Kevin? 215 bucks and reserve not met yet !!!! BOYYYY !!!

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
How about fish? would you go for $$$ for fish? The reason I call it due to Lennardi that was seems to be on demand past weeks or so ...

Their survival rate is very poor in captivity from what I heard and with that price tag, boy ...!!!

Exactly give me a coral or fish guarantee survival for a year and free replacement then quote prices and I will understand the insanity... Most people just clammering over each other seem to be credit card happy 20-30 year olds..well everyone has a learning curve I guess. Lets count our lucky stars Chinese buyers are not bidding :p

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
its both stupidity on the LFS's part and the buyers part for selling and paying these over inflated, stoopid prices. I asked a LFS once, how much for a dallas frag, he said $80, I told him get stuffed.

200 for a goni thats more than likely going to die in most muppets tank? good luck to em. more money than sense some people

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
I think the visibility of what's available overseas effects local prices to some degree.
Since getting into the hobby, it's been a sore point for me that it's seemingly difficult to get high end Australian coral in Australia.
Go figure.
What I have seen available is still very expensive and the range is very limited - as far as I can tell (as I naive consumer) the best pieces go straight on a plane.
To add insult to injury, even if I wanted to buy a nice aussie piece from an overseas vendor, bio security prevents me from bringing it back.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I highly recommend getting familiar with your LFS and letting them know exactly what you are after. They usually have a good relationship with the collectors and will get you the piece you are wanting at a fair price.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
its both stupidity on the LFS's part and the buyers part for selling and paying these over inflated, stoopid prices. I asked a LFS once, how much for a dallas frag, he said $80, I told him get stuffed.
200 for a goni thats more than likely going to die in most muppets tank? good luck to em. more money than sense some people
IMO, in this hobby, there's a lot of people with fairly deep pocket that won't hesitate in buy things, regardless of their survival rate .... my gut feel, some of them don't even research prior bidding/purchasing.

At the end of the day, there's nothing wrong with that; I may have sounded whinging in my earlier post but if they can afford it and willing to purchase at that rate, who are we (am I) to complain ?

For those that may know this industry a lot more than I am, tell me this ...
I heard Lennardi Wrasse is native to Australia ocean, right?
If so, why are they so dang expensive? (if it's expensive here, I imagine it would be extra super duper expensive in other country i.e. USA).
Is it because they're harder to collect due to their behavior hiding in deep sand bed?

Femininus Wrasse is another example ...

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Those gonis or ones virtually exactly the same go through AFACE every few months or so, pieces that area bout the size of a 50c piece before they fluff up are $60

Having said that I dont think i have seen them in the last 6 month.

I have had a very poor success rate with them compared to any other goni and reports from other locals appears to be the same. Hopefully this buyer has better luck.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I never did get the fascination with odd coloured Gonioporas. There is an oddball Alveopora on next weeks list from Indo, might try to get it for M. They're cool, but damn, that same coral from one of the WA collectors lands here at about $150-$200USD. Standard mark up would be $300-$400 retail so $500 is a stretch unless he got it from one of the wholesalers, then he got screwed royally and is trying to recoup his money. That said, I don't understand how the supply chain works there so I could be off.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
We don't really have wholesalers as a middle man, the shops buy straight from collectors.

The collectors send out lists each week with prices, you tick what you want then usually get sent all of the average/box fillers and miss out on all the primo stuff you were actually putting the order through for.

TunaBlue

Dec 16, 2014
We don't really have wholesalers as a middle man, the shops buy straight from collectors.

The collectors send out lists each week with prices, you tick what you want then usually get sent all of the average/box fillers and miss out on all the primo stuff you were actually putting the order through for.
I struggle to find any ultra corals these days from vendors that sell online besides my local fish store.
Anyone got any recommendations?
cheers