Tank Journal Archive

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
Up And Down We Go
It's been a weird ride for the 525XL

lost a couple of nice fish for no reason what so ever other than possible aggression from the Sailfin Tang.... He seems to go after the Angelfish - if it happens again I think i'll have to pull him out :(

Dead within 24hrs sort of thing... very odd that put me on a bit of a bummer.

So i just let it chill for a few months without any new additions.

Havent really tested it other than Salinity.

Been running it majority Skimmerless because I havent had a change to get the ATO working properly to keep the water level in the same spot, skimmer probably runs 30% of the week, once i get a water drop in the sump it shuts off.

Anyway did a bunch of tests today.

I have 1 baby clam in there, 1 Anemone, couple of Zoanthiads, 2 are doing good, one not so good, and one leather coral that seems to be doing ok, the couple of brain corals that came on the live rock, 2 are a bit soso, one is doing ok.

My reactor has 2 bags of CPB pinned between 2 lots of Continuum Phos W - this seems to be keeping the undesirables at bay.

I also put in 1 large Marine Pure block and 7 small blocks.

other then that stock wise its as follows:

1 sailfin tang
1 Magnifica foxface
1 dwarf finn lion fish (took 5 days before he started eating frozen, now is a greedy pig)
1 Unicorn Tang
10 blue green chromis
10 Stags
2 black and white clowns
1 white sand starfish

the LF shop did get me in a fu manchu lionfish but it went belly up in the holding tanks after a week.

I have a nice Angelfish on hold but not keen on putting a $300fish in if the tang is going to go ape on it and the tang is 3x its size.

My long nose hawkfish managed to jump out through a gap in the lid after i finished cleaning... farking annoying.

anyway did some tests today

SG1.023
PH 8.2
Phosphate with hanna ULPhosphorus = 36 = 0.1103ppb

with NYOS
mag 1380
nitrate 3-5
Cal 480
dKH 8

i'd take some photos but they are just going to look shite compared to what the pros can do on here :)

bit of red algae on the sand but it seems to be the only issue

will do the other tank tomorrow.