Tank Journal Archive

Shaunmills

Jan 1, 2016
Melbourne
Up And Running
So I wasn't going to create one of these as I'm not the type of person to post a lot of info or photos...guess you could say I'm more of a follower (some may say stalker :p) than poster. However I need to give credit where it's due for my first foray into saltwater after a very long (very very long) absence from fish keeping.

First a bit of background....I started searching for reliable information mid last year and came across many Facebook groups, pet shop websites and forums such as The Reefuge to try and educate myself on what would be required to setup a marine tank before jumping headfirst into something that I knew would be difficult. After many months of reading I decided to go big as possible with the right equipment as I wanted to try and get it right the first time around however still with a budget in mind.

As usual I visited my LFS however strayed outside of my local area to visit Deer Park Aquarium, Reeflections, Williamstown Aquarium, Amazing Amazon, TVS Aquatics, Mentone Aquarium just to name a few....I spent the best part of a month talking to people and gathering more info.

The one place that caught my attention the most was Deer Park, purely for the fact that Dave knew exactly the forums I'd been on and the tanks\people I had been following (not stalking :)). He was easy going, happy to chat to anyone and not looking to try and make a sale (not saying that the others were it just that the shop had a really calming atmosphere and that wouldn't be out of place in the local coffee shop).

As you can guess I decided to see if Dave could organise the build and provide all the equipment that I needed. He agreed even though he was overworked and now a few months later I have my first marine tank installed!!!!!:cum

Dave and Mark came to install on Weds night after work and while we didn't quite have enough NSW to fill the tank we finished what we could and set another date of Sat night to complete.

It's now up and running and producing a hell of a lot of skim, 5ltrs so far...

DSC_0434.JPG DSC_0444.JPG

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Glad to see you posted this up here, been keeping a very close eye on this build as I love the attention to detail.
Kudos to you and deer park!

brendan88

Jul 3, 2015
I got to see this in person at deer park. Very neat and impressive cabinet.

Again Dave has come through with the goods, enjoy your sit up.....

Shaunmills

Jan 1, 2016
Melbourne
Thanks all, will try to keep this post updated.

looks great !!!!!!!!! Would love to know all the details of the equipment.
At the moment:
  • 3 x AI Hydra 52s
  • 2 x Tunze 6105 (waiting on the 2nd as its on back order)
  • Nyos Quantum 160
  • Nyos Viper 5.0
  • Smart ATO
  • 8-10 bags x Marine Pure
  • 2 x 8 switch PDUs
  • LT LED Refugium Light
Picked up 60kg of live rock as well and looks like it came with at least 1 crab (although expect more), a few snails and a sea urchin!!!

Picked up the rock just to make sure the urchin is alive and could get out of it's hole and it's alive and kicking....lets see if it survives the cycle.

Attachments