Tank Journal Archive

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Update 10
So update on the tank, it looks like its still going ahead, its been moved to the front of the line but this isnt all rainbows and skittles as the build process is a bit different and more timely than, well any other tank build.

For those unfamiliar with the process they use here is a brief run down, elos carries out extensive tests on the glass before hand, ditching quiet alot because of internal flaws or issues that may compromise "perfect clarity"with it being reviewed at 50x magnification.

They only use a proprietary blend of adhesive to construct the aquariums made specifically for its strength and additional safety. They will only use fresh batches of adhesive matched to the glass thickness. If the adhesive is not fresh the tanks dont get made....

They then construct something that seems unique to elos, a multi plate double layer base, this is then cured and examined by an engineer for quality, ie smooth even layers of adhesive without air bubbles or imperfections. If its not right its binned and they start again.

The tank it then made and the same process as above is carried out again. After its completed they will not move a tank for 30 days after building it, they reassess the tank and if its not right then they start again.

So while its hoped tanks will leave at a certain date, there is no definitive outcome and the mantra seems to be quality regardless of timeliness, which is both reassuring but also annoying when you are waiting for the friggin thing.

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
Wow, the quality controls are off the scale.

I was going to make a comparative comment, but I better not I suppose.

All the best with it, mate :).

Jamo.

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
Hey Ads, do ya think they compared the food to NLS based on the 'mix with water' test, since it looked brown?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
you may have a busted tank jamo but you still have a tank! i have an empty bank account and a promise of one!

and according the the banter over on RC its meant to be NLS in the cloudy water sample its meant to be the vitamin spray that its treated with, I have always used NLS as my stable, i think you could argue that the the water bourne vitamin mix may get picked up by the corals etc but what more interested me was not adding additional phosphates where i didn't need to.

The reviews look pretty cool, the only real criticism seems to be that it floats a bit more

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/review/product/list/id/1443/category/315/

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Im getting it ordered in through Majestic which Elos AU wasnt too happy about because they are not a "committed reseller" but the thing is there currently arnt any in Sydney, if you want anything im sure it can be tacked on to my order though

Salt @ emu plains is meant to be setting themselves up as a "committed reseller" with the full range in stock but its all comming in on the same shippment as my gear, so wont be for at least a few months.