Tank Journal Archive

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Update 11
So ive gotten some storage tanks, 100l for RO and 210l for mixing up ASW. Im going to run a hose in so i can fill the tank directly and stop mucking around with bucket. Hoping this makes life a bit easier

IMG_0447.jpg

Also got my dosing containers from the US after the hold up in customs, to the left is the normal ones from bunnings and on right the space saver, basically 3 fit in the same space as the bunnings one mainly due to the kiss through that stops the bulging but they are also higher

IMG_0443.jpg

This is a photo of the kiss through

IMG_0444.jpg

V

'vspec'

So did customs give reason to the delay?

Im assuming your tubs are under an ac unit outside?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
So did customs give reason to the delay?

Im assuming your tubs are under an ac unit outside?

Reason for the delay is I was brining in the elos fish food and reef chilli, which if it was listed as human food would have been fine but because its pet food needs a permit. :(

Yeah its under an AC unit, space is a bit of a premium in a villa. Is there an issue with the heat from the condensers or anything that makes this not a good idea?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
those containers are great adam. what did they work out costing?
They wouldnt have been too bad if I was just bringing them in but because of the fish food thing it worked out a costly exercise.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
They dont let pet food into the country, so i lost it $60 and had to pay $82 to have it destroyed

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
the they wouldnt release by buckets and they charge me $60 a week storage fee. I could have told them to stick up but I did want the buckets

MavG

Nov 8, 2011
Newcastle
Hi NiCd,

Just FYI, Aqis monitor these types of forums, and knowing what stringent import laws occur for this sort of stuff, having applied for permits and have had to go through the paces of importing biological material (fish food and marine liquid foods in particular) it is big money if you get caught.

I have also had products come in by mistake without a permit, and had product come in without knowing the permit has expired, and even if it gets through, they can actually recall the product to be destroyed (which you to pay shipping and a fee for).

Having said this as well, ANYTHING of biological nature, any food at all, bacterial supplement, algae, plants, human or otherwise, needs a permit to import it, and labelling it as something not biological, is a big no no, and carries even larger fines than simply importing it without a permit, they do not like it at all.

Not trying to bust your bubble, but having dealt with Aqis extensively with fish and aquarium related products (Brendore also used to do this with me, yes it took two people to deal with AQIS and apply for permits) its a pain in the ass, and they come down HARD on people trying to swindle them, to the tune of thousands of dollars, and i woulkd not want that to happen to anyone over some fish food.

Just thought i would let you know.

G

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Wise words as always, would be intesting to perhaps set up another topic to discsuss the requirements of importing such items and obtaining permits etc.

MavG

Nov 8, 2011
Newcastle
Would be happy to, but i can sum it up in a simple sentence:

ITS A BLOODY HEADACHE AND A PAIN IN THE ASS, FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR SANITY DON'T TRY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But if someone wants to start the topic ill chime in.

fongyfong

Aug 21, 2011
Im getting it ordered in through Majestic which Elos AU wasnt too happy about because they are not a "committed reseller" but the thing is there currently arnt any in Sydney, if you want anything im sure it can be tacked on to my order though

Salt @ emu plains is meant to be setting themselves up as a "committed reseller" with the full range in stock but it's all comming in on the same shippment as my gear, so wont be for at least a few months.
sweet will keep a loook out

V

'vspec'

I dont thing there is an issue under the AC units bud, unless of course they drop sh^t from above that can be a contaminate.

Fongyfong, I've seen you before I believe. Your originally a fresh water plantie correct?