Tank Journal Archive

PMac

Apr 18, 2012
Sydney
ELOS - now that is one good looking tank!!!! the aquatop looks brilliant on it too... you must be so excited - have you been given a pick-up date????

I will have to live vicariously through you and your ELOS journey because it will be about 3 months for mine to come :(

4 clowns would be awesome - I like the picasso, panda and the ocellaris clownfish - I assume if I had 4 they would have to be the same type?

we have a big garage/storage area downstairs - so I could do a 3ft QT - where is the cheapest place to pick one up?

V

'vspec'

Yeah thats pretty nice bud.
Curved splash guards look sweet. Or are they surfer guards, never can tell the difference :p

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
I made the mistake once of having three clown fish. Even a 4ft tank they were fighting like crazy :(

PMac

Apr 18, 2012
Sydney
Hey do you have one or two heaters (at lower voltage in the tank/sump)??? which one do you recommend? got a quote on a custom build and it was $500 less than the ELOS ... no brainer to me ... ELOS all the way

FYI - Aquaristic has set up its mini ELOS - if you need some eye candy to keep you going until yours is ready - is pick up this weekend???

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Hey do you have one or two heaters (at lower voltage in the tank/sump)??? which one do you recommend? got a quote on a custom build and it was $500 less than the ELOS ... no brainer to me ... ELOS all the way

FYI - Aquaristic has set up its mini ELOS - if you need some eye candy to keep you going until yours is ready - is pick up this weekend???

Yeah i have actaully been in a few times to check it out, keeping me same a bit :)

ETA is end of the month :D

I go two heaters, if one goes nuts it dosnt cook the fish if one fails all your fish dont get whitespot

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
Not yet mate. The earliest I could drop off the acrylic backing was today. I'm hoping I get it back tomorrow so I can silicone it in and then put in some wet stuff :).

fongyfong

Aug 21, 2011
I dont thing there is an issue under the AC units bud, unless of course they drop sh^t from above that can be a contaminate.

Fongyfong, I've seen you before I believe. Your originally a fresh water plantie correct?
Sorry for late reply. Nah dont think we have met im from sydney. And i never kept fresh water plants

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Not yet mate. The earliest I could drop off the acrylic backing was today. I'm hoping I get it back tomorrow so I can silicone it in and then put in some wet stuff :).
I think I offended your missus when I was over, im allergic to chocolate and knocked back the fresh baked muffins that it looked like she put so much work into, she gave me a bit of a hurt look, at least I didn't call her the wrong name though...

PMac

Apr 18, 2012
Sydney
Gosh you must be going crazy waiting so long for your tank... and as for chocolate and being allergic to it - wow that sucks!

I had come to the same conclusion as you re: 2 heaters - much safer - do you put both in the sump?

The mini at Aquaristic is beautiful huh! Not a big fan of the wood grain but the tank is gorgeous - did you see the cute little blue tangs there?

Are you planning to set your sump up the same way as they have - I saw they have some coral in there?
Also is your sand the same as the one they are using?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I was planing to still be at a different property up until this point so it didn't matter, but the tennant got made redundant so we decided to move back a few months earlier and get ontop of the renovations so its now getting to that stage where the wait is killing me.

Yeah i run the heaters in my sump, I try and avoid putting any equipment I can in the display.

The woodgrain certainly isnt my choice either, out of all the finishes they do I would probably rate that the lowest on my list.

Last time I was there is was just coral sand and water, I havnt seen how they have stocked it yet.Ill be using a finer grain sand. I have gone with the Caribsea Fuji pink which is alot smaller, whiter and some some pink bits in it.

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=4196&catID=93

Its pretty pricey stuff but looks good down.

The Sump set up is fairly standard in Elos's I think there is an extra reaction chamber in the 120's and the RO top up comes with it and runs a 55l tank, which saves alot of work. On the new models this can be converted to be run as a refugium but I would prefer the lower maintainence of having an ATO reserve.

Has dave given you an ETA on yours? have you decided on your lighting choice?

PMac

Apr 18, 2012
Sydney
I spoke to Dave and he said things were "hectic" grrrr and so he wasn't sending the order off straight away. He he did say 10 weeks from the time of ordering but it depends whether he beats the interzoo orders which was his plan - I reckon it will be at least 5 mths (trying to mentally prepare myself) ... still all good things come to those who wait????

Your sand looks great - I think I will be def checking that out - thanks for the link - we are going to the blue mountains next week for a wedding - is salt aquariums worth a stop?

Lighting - def. aquatop - just a question of the light make up - I asked the aquaristic guys to make a suggestion for me which I am still waiting for them to come back to me with - they agreed with you def. not just blue and white e-strips.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
He may be holding off until after interzoo because of new releases and promotions?

PMac

Apr 18, 2012
Sydney
Thnx parrdog will talk hubby into a detour on the way home... apparently Salt are going to have a 200 xl marine ELOS setup along with some others - their tanks will be in the same order as mine so a fair way off but that will be something to see!!!!

As for the positive skew re: orders - lets hope so - I know he is going over for it and he said he would be in touch regarding anything new and exciting...

Sucks though when you decide to get one you have to wait so long grrr - anyway gives me time to gather the other goodies - wavemakers, chillers etc. without hitting the bank balance too much in one month ...

PMac

Apr 18, 2012
Sydney
Paid my deposit today - woohoo - ordered the tank and aquatop ... still have to advise on the e-strips I want... can't wait to watch you set yours up! It will keep me going until I get mine :)

Parrdog - are you putting the acrylic backing inside the tank or outside on the back of the tank? (excuse my ignorance if this is a dumb question)