Tank Journal Archive

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Update 24
The corals seem to be liking their new home

The duncan has been grown from 2 heads and was saved from the live rock bin about a year back
IMG_0732.jpg

the gorg has been in my sump under the inlet for the last 8 months, its been grown from a 3cm frag, I am pretty impressed by that.
IMG_0733.jpg

Scolly is from azfish when he shut his tank down, GSP grown from two small frags I got from Edi about 3-4 months back?
IMG_0735.jpg

Hammer is a wild collected that I got from Azfish about two to three months back
IMG_0736.jpg

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Looking good man!
There's something about tanks without a background that gives them a more open and spacious feel.

The light looks really good and compliments the clean lines of the tank with the cabinet.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
There's something about tanks without a background that gives them a more open and spacious feel.
It was actaully a hard decision to go without a background it was only that my wife wanted blue and I wanted black that it really ended up as neither :)

Chriso

May 23, 2012
Sutherland
It was actaully a hard decision to go without a background it was only that my wife wanted blue and I wanted black that it really ended up as neither :)
You wont regret it!
after not having a background on my current tank I don't think I will ever go back to black backgrounds, the soft blue tones from the light reflections off the wall make it very relaxing to watch

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
It seems to give it alot more depth behind and you are right in that its more relaxing to watch, im biting at the bit to get some anthias in there so watch some gold fish swim around :)

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Tank looks awesome, about 20x better looking then the old setup with blue back ground

This is a few days latter after and a few more corals added with the Vortech getting binned for the Tunze because the noise was driving me freakin nuts
They are that bad hey? been trying to make the choice between the 2 the past couple days, but since my tank is only a few meters away from my lounge and reading things like this, I'm tending towards the tunze

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Tank looks awesome, about 20x better looking then the old setup with blue back ground

They are that bad hey? been trying to make the choice between the 2 the past couple days, but since my tank is only a few meters away from my lounge and reading things like this, I'm tending towards the tunze

Thanks man, I am pretty happy with how its unrolling. I must say I was a bit nervous about spending all this money with my only point of reference that i had seen in person being a 45cm cube

Im a big fan of vortechs and they are a superior product in all but three ways Noise, reliability and the after sales service.

The last two I don’t mind taking as a bit of a gamble, as if you don’t have issues with the reliability the after sales service has no effect.

I ran an mp40 on the last system that I had there and it was reasonably noisy but so was the rest of the system so it wasn’t over the top. This system is basically silent except for the overflow, which im told takes around 3-4 weeks to build up a biofilm and then it is silent. So the vortech just seemed like it was screamingly loud in comparison.

I can do a DB comparison for you over the weekend if it will help?

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
i fyou wanna get rid of the vortech let me know :P im picking up a mp10wes this weekend for $200 was only 3 months old...i love them..maybe im a sucker for commercial advertising though lol

they are noisy and can be quite noisy but most people i seen with larger tanks get a few of them so they dont need to turn them up so high also helps with the random flow...i think its the bright lights on the controller that got me :P

haha cosmetic but really looks very nice in a tank and a lot better than the $14 one i bought off ebay that sounded like i was mowing the lawn lol

PMac

Apr 18, 2012
Sydney
Hey there... just wondering if you are happy with your skimmer now that it is going? also are you happy with the lighting combination you chose and the ELOS vision controller or haven't they sorted it out yet?
Tank looks brilliant - i am not going to put a back on mine either - I think it looks great how it is = plus the tank is just so beautiful I think it takes away from it...
Were you only running one Vortech? at what level - as Leodb89 said i had read if you run them at about 30-40% the noise isn't such a prob... but you'd need two... noise comparison please ... db's...
When do you plan to add fish? how long do you have to wait - all your live rock was fully cycled wasn't it? is it just you have to wait to get some build up in the sump before you do anything else?

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Pmac take a breath! :P

Jk lol

I know people are prob thinking why buy something if I can only run it at 40% but either way you'd need more than one pump for mixture of flow so this would cancel out the "I need two to run them at a bearable noise level" but also I wouldn't run anything at 100% would shorten its lifespan

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
i fyou wanna get rid of the vortech let me know :P im picking up a mp10wes this weekend for $200 was only 3 months old...i love them..maybe im a sucker for commercial advertising though lol

they are noisy and can be quite noisy but most people i seen with larger tanks get a few of them so they dont need to turn them up so high also helps with the random flow...i think its the bright lights on the controller that got me :P

haha cosmetic but really looks very nice in a tank and a lot better than the $14 one i bought off ebay that sounded like i was mowing the lawn lol
I've run them quiet a lot, they are a quality pump that has amazing flow, my choice wasn't meant as a disrespect to them, they just don't seem suited to a really quiet set up in a really quiet room, with an anally retentive occupant. Ireally wish it wasn't the case but even on 25% it wasn't suitable.

If you read back earlier in the tj I cover off multiple sources and that it adds a 3db increase in sound pressure which whilst the tonal pitch is different the pressure level will be virtually the same.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Hey there... just wondering if you are happy with your skimmer now that it is going? also are you happy with the lighting combination you chose and the ELOS vision controller or haven't they sorted it out yet?
Tank looks brilliant - i am not going to put a back on mine either - I think it looks great how it is = plus the tank is just so beautiful I think it takes away from it...
Were you only running one Vortech? at what level - as Leodb89 said i had read if you run them at about 30-40% the noise isn't such a prob... but you'd need two... noise comparison please ... db's...
When do you plan to add fish? how long do you have to wait - all your live rock was fully cycled wasn't it? is it just you have to wait to get some build up in the sump before you do anything else?
The skimmer is just starting to hit its stride now, it seems quiet effective, I guess a true test will be how it goes when it's fully stocked though. There was some slight noise on the air intake but I inserted another tube inside of it to change the turbulence and it made it very quiet indeed.

I haven't been able to work the envision out yet, I have just been using the tempo which has quiet a few functions by itself but there is a humm when the lights are dimmed using the tempo I've been told there is a software update that solves this and that the hardware to do the update for me is in the next shipment.

When the red is on flat out its a bit too much for me so I haven't been running it until I can get the silent dimming sorted, when the red is on 50% the color is perfect for my taste. The blues they use are amazing compare to the other LEDs I have owned the whites also don't have that yellow tinge to they look good with out the blues on as well.

Tank currently has a lone bangaii in it, I was kind of waiting for some algal outbreak before I added more but everything looks very stable and the rock being cycled for 4 months first seems to have done the trick. I'm thinking the tangs can be brought up this weekend.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
The back and sides are laminated MR board and the front doors are painted, i dont know what material they are though.

Ive been assured that everything is of the highest grade moisture resistance and there is a 5 year warrenty on every that comes with the tank

Reactions: MTG

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
cool, im pretty sure its laminated MDF. Im just in the process of getting a 8 foot cabinet quoted and unsure weather to paint it in 2pac or go MDF laminate all around.

I like the look of your cabinet, its very neat.