Tank Journal Archive

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Hey Ads, how's the new tank syndrome going mate?

Any algae issues or is it pretty good?
The glass is a little more dusty than id like it to be, basically every second day I have to go over it, there is also some colour on the sandbed, but apart from that everything is cool. I really shouldn't complain I know I am a long way out of the woods but I have been pretty lucky considering how it could have gone.

How are your corals settling in? I loved the gold hammer you got, all of them seemed to have those really large tenticles like you get on the northern qld ones

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Nice tank ... but even nicer firefish!

RE pairing
I'd be very careful about trying to pair it up. If your fish is a juvie eg around 4cm then pairing will be easier. But if you got a big adult say 7cm + I would be reluctant to try in the dt without an acclimation box for the newcomer. They can seriously injure each other if its a same sex couple. Having said that, a true pair looks great as they are never more than a few inches apart. They're also bulletproof IME which is a nice change from some reef fish.

As an aside, how come the other fish didn't make it? :(
Thanks for the heads up Ang, I had those concerns.

The story behind these are they were imported by jack and when they were in the qt room they jumped into the same tank day after day so jack ended up leaving them together. He sent me vids of them swimming around etc, So I was Over the moon.

When they got shipped up it was the beginning of winter and they were put on a flight that landed at 12pm, 2pm is the change over time for staff at virgin and Wednesday apparently they are short staffed, so from 12-1 they were to busy to get the box off the runway, from 1-2 all the staff disappeared and from 2-3 nobody would do shit for me because they just started their shift. So by the time I got the box it had been sitting on the runway on an 8* day for nearly 4 hours. When I got home the water temp was 12* all the fish were really sluggish but still alive, I drip acclimatized over 2 hours but one of them was dead by the hour mark.

Jack offered a refund but it wasn't his fault virgin were slack arses.

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
The glass is a little more dusty than i.d like it to be, basically every second day I have to go over it, there is also some colour on the sandbed, but apart from that everything is cool. I really shouldn't complain I know I am a long way out of the woods but I have been pretty lucky considering how it could have gone.

How are your corals settling in? I loved the gold hammer you got, all of them seemed to have those really large tenticles like you get on the northern qld ones
Your tank sounds great mate, mine is a bit nuts with the algae but nothing to worry about. The corals are settling in really well. The tenticles are nice and broad hey, pretty cool. The colours are coming out quite nicely too. I got a little Symphilia today, a little number with fluro green highlights. I'm hopefully going to get some more goodies from Ryan tomorrow too.

Happy days mate :).

Jamo.

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
I grabbed the red and blue brain, the bleeding apple scolly and the mottled hammer he had advertised a while back. I also grabbed the purple lightning clam he had for sale.

Can't wait :).

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I saw those clams, that will look frigging awesome in your tank, where are you putting it?

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
How awesome is jack! He is a legend btw I hear this Ryan character is a complete tosser :-)

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
Myself and Kristy saw Ads' tank yesterday.

All I can say is wow, it's looking absolutely fantastic already!!

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Not much has changed I'm growing some Xenia out in there now, which is probably a mistake, I'll put some pics up later

PMac

Apr 18, 2012
Sydney
Hey there - can't wait to see more pictures - the tank looks so great - my ELOS is finished and waiting to be shipped - they think end of the month so prob about 2-3mths away. I had a question with your lights if you don't mind - David has ordered - two strips of white LED's, one strip of blue, and one strip of red, white, blue - what do you think???? he said the controller can only control individual strips and not individual colours... I would appreciated any thoughts - thanks heaps...

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I think it will be too white, I heard the tempo controls the individual strips but if you get the e vision you can control the colours? But I am waiting for a software update to get that running.

If you want you can come around and have how different colour mixes look

PMac

Apr 18, 2012
Sydney
No apparently you can't control the colours with the e-vsion - that was what he said today to me in an email - only the entire strip. So what do you recommend? sorry to ask again I know you did tell me but what did you get? thnx for the invite to come over - I am 2 weeks away from having baby number 3 and we have heaps to do before the baby comes otherwise I would love to have a look... life is about to get very busy for me!