Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I have that same pink hammer, might be my favourite coral.

Great shot of the shrimp, shame it's not quite sharply in focus, but nice pose!

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Yeah I was a bit disappointed with the sharpness I'm hoping there will be a take two of it when I have a quicker shutter speed selected

PMac

Apr 18, 2012
Sydney
Its funny and I was on the phone to him that same day confirming with him that it will in fact do it because I can only control the tube at the moment with the tempo and he assured me it will...
Well lets hope he was wrong ... it would be great to be able to control the individual colours ... this is exactly what he wrote in the email to me....maybe I am misinterpreting his comments???
The System can only dim individual colour groups in one strip when used with the E-vision Controller - one of the extra functions over using just the Tempo module.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Well lets hope he was wrong ... it would be great to be able to control the individual colours ... this is exactly what he wrote in the email to me....maybe I am misinterpreting his comments???
The System can only dim individual colour groups in one strip when used with the E-vision Controller - one of the extra functions over using just the Tempo module.

I dunno I read that as you can dim the colours in an individual strip with the e vision, maybe give him a call. Will be be at his talks next month?

PMac

Apr 18, 2012
Sydney
I dunno I read that as you can dim the colours in an individual strip with the e vision, maybe give him a call. Will be be at his talks next month?
Yeah you can read it both ways I guess... when/where is his talk - didn't even know about it.... I love that fish of yours - the picture just above - what is it called? its so beautiful... are you enjoying your ELOS experience?? mine is due to ship at the end of this month (so soon) - then another 6 weeks....yippee

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
He is going it on the evening 7th August at Majestic Aquariums with a host of his products including elos

The fish is a helfrichi firefish collected from the Marshal Islands. From what I have been told they are collected in a few other places but they are not as strikingly coloured.

Its funny when I first got the tank I was a little lost because there was no tinkering, tweaking or planing of what I would have done next time, everything is just right and I have gone straight to the enjoyment phase. its sounds like yours is getting sorted alot quicker than mine did, you would have to be getting pretty excited about now.

Have you planed out your scape yet?

PMac

Apr 18, 2012
Sydney
that is a credit to ELOS then that you haven't needed to tinker with the system!!!!

Bummer about the talk- that is the day before my c-section - don't think I will be driving across there from Lane Cove with 1 day to go!!!!

I am really excited - as for scape I just want something minimal - similar to what you have done - how many kgs of live rock do you reckon I need.

Can I ask your advice ... is step 1 to test the tank with tap water or should i use ro/di water??? then is it better in your opinion to use NSW or a salt mix? thnx heaps!!!

btw are you happy with the substrate you went with?

another qn - sorry - can you do a battery back-up with the tunze???? we have heaps of 2-3hr black outs in lane cove so I really need to have a back up....

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
i think i ended up using about 20kg, i had about 40 odd kg and used what looks like less than half but i got to get my scape right rather than just using everything i had and hoping it would come out alright

the FW test is just to check for leaks so you can use tap water, the RO is to get rid of any nasty s, there is no reason you cant do RO as the FW test, it just takes a while to make that much RO

If you get a good salt mix there is very little difference, cheap ones leave you with ionic imbalances as the chorinity is rarely correct, if you have access to fresh sea water it is better but if you get a quality mix I personally cannot tell the difference.

very happy with the substrate, the finer particle size gives a much smoother and brighter appearance .

the vortech has a much better battery back up system, you can use a UPS inline with the tunze and I believe on a 700ah one a single pump will rung for a could of hours, but compared to the vortechs system going 20 odd hours it leaves a bit to be desired