Tank Journal Archive

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Update 7
ok aquascaping think tank

I am thinking of going with two bomies tiered in shelves. I want to go mix of dry rock with aquaroche bases. For those that have played around with aquaroche stuff before you will know why i am thinking this. They have amazing porosity and shelve really well.

They are however hand made in france and shipping hunks of rock from there isnt the cheapest exercise

Science time

Aquaroche Vs LR in posterity

To be very precise, purifying bacteria are between 1,2 and 1,5 µ. For a good colonisation, they need a shelter with open pores, ideally with a bottle shape, 20 µ to 100 µ. Aquaroche worked the porosity of their rocks so that they have a maximum of open pores, linked together and to a net of canals and fissures from 100 µ to a few millimetres where a micro fauna can develop.
This porosity is active on the surface but also inside the rocks like good natural live rocks
All their rocks with this specific porosity have the
"LiVe Rock Function ®"- LV label.
The porosity is regular.
On photos you can see the partial cut of a rock, with the different canals, fissures and pores.
Dimensions of rock : 20 x 25 x H 8 cm, cut part: 10 x 7 cm, the close view corresponds to 6 x 5 cm.

rock with partial transversal cut

[Broken External Image]:http://www.aquaroche.fr/images/popup/actualites/porosite07b.jpg

rock with partial transversal cut

[Broken External Image]:http://www.aquaroche.fr/images/popup/actualites/porosite07c.jpg

Cut - real size: 6 x 5 cm

[Broken External Image]:http://www.aquaroche.fr/images/popup/actualites/porosite07d.jpg

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
The structure looks great Ads :).

Can you give us an outline of the tank dimensions around the structure ie l x w x h. That way we can see how the structure looks in it's environment, and make calls based on that.

Are you going with Amano principles with the scape?

Cheers,
Jamo.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i think its 4x2x2?
that structure looks nice personaly i would build it up abit higher tho if the tanks 2 foot deep. very interesting tho!

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
Yo nic good to see you on here :)

Where did you get the aquaroche base rocks from? Looks very interesting.
Building a 2ft cube tank for my gf and thinking of using these types of base rocks,

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
The structure looks great Ads :).

Can you give us an outline of the tank dimensions around the structure ie l x w x h. That way we can see how the structure looks in it's environment, and make calls based on that.

Are you going with Amano principles with the scape?

Cheers,
Jamo.
tank is 120x57x50 outside dimensions less 12mm glass, substrate will be around 3cm thick, I was planing on doing a cardboard cutout of the tank and having a play around on that as well.

I havnt read any of amanos books, the only principals i know of his is to focus on a natural style scape and yes that it my goal. Any tips you can give would be greatly appreciated.

I have previously always done rock walls and with the fruit salad or half of noas ark principal of one of every kind.

I really want lots of open space, swimming rooms and species and specimen dominated

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
i think it's 4x2x2?
that structure looks nice personaly i would build it up abit higher tho if the tanks 2 foot deep. very interesting tho!
tank is 50cm high, and corals will be going on top of that so was hesitant in putting it much higher, the left hand structure will have soft corals on it and will sit very high, i was hoping to have mainly lps and maybe a stag on this one

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Yo nic good to see you on here :)

Where did you get the aquaroche base rocks from? Looks very interesting.
Building a 2ft cube tank for my gf and thinking of using these types of base rocks,
Thanks sid, I got them from Laurie aka ex st george aquariums. They are normally insanely expensive ie $87 each and you need 15 for a 2 foot cube, so probably better cheap options out there at normal RRP, he may still have a few more around though

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
So I was going to grab a storage bucket to start seeding/cycling the rocks but after a trip to bunnings and seeing that a plastic 100l storage bucket is $68 i decided to buy two 65l breeders tanks from majestic. $49 for the two, made by dalbarb and actually pretty good looking. I was thinking of upgrading my planted tank at work with one afterwards.

So i have packed one full of the dry rock, added a heater, modded tunze 6045 and some salt water. It just hit temperature about half an hour ago so I have transfered accross a few rocks from my fuge that were teaming with pods, sponges, tube worms and a few other goodies.

I have also ordered some Zeo bak, Zeo start and Zeo sponge which I will be using to build the rocks right up over the next few months.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I need to hit you up for some pods next time we meet buddy. I have a few in my tank, all descendants that made it over on the 1 kg of live rock I seeded my tank with. I am sure my population would love to see fresh faces.