Tank Journal Archive

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Update On The Corals My Sister Cleaned And Moved.
Not sure if I filled you guys in. Try little sister cleaned all my zoanthid colonies and frags because they got slightly covered in cyano and she moved them to better spots. And they're looking pretty good. Same goes for the ricordeas and my hammer is now adjusted to the high lighting.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
how old is the tank jimmy? cyanos a sign of excess nutrients
It's abit over 2 months...it was the die off from the live rock. When I left it out for 7 hours doing something..also the new sand bed..which was added before I left..before the sand bed and dead rock. I had no nutrient issues..my fish get fed every two days..and I've only got a pair of clowns and a royal gramma

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
looks like it is still cycling. i wouldn't add more coral for a little while.
Yeah it's been a month though, so should be okay. Just a water change and a siphon..it'll be alright, I've got a crap load of corals to fill it with when I'm back, two red rics, 4 palm sized Fluro green rhodsctis, a single large extra bright red moprh, a Fluro pink moprh, a hornet zoanthid rock and a white speckled Rbta. :)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
nems should really only go in tanks 6-12 months old
id be letting the tank establish before throwing anything else at it.
everyone knows what happens when you rush a reef tank! :dead

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
nems should really only go in tanks 6-12 months old
i.d be letting the tank establish before throwing anything else at it.
everyone knows what happens when you rush a reef tank! :dead
Yeah that's true..but I think I should be okay, I've always done my tanks this way. And honestly this is the first time I've gotten cyano, it's all mushrooms and an anemone. Think I should be okay.

But hey..you'd know if things don't go well. I update this tj pretty often.

Anyways how's your tank mate, everything recovering now?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
after bringing the salinity down its all fine again. lost alot of coral tho. they didn't take kindly to 1.038 :banghead
should have thrown out the hydrometer years ago. time for a new start again and the rebuild begins. the scapes looking awsome just need a few more corals to pack it out again. check my journal for pics

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
after bringing the salinity down its all fine again. lost alot of coral tho. they didn't take kindly to 1.038 :banghead
should have thrown out the hydrometer years ago. time for a new start again and the rebuild begins. the scapes looking awsome just need a few more corals to pack it out again. check my journal for pics
Yeah dude I was reading about that, how'd you get it that high? I've honestly topped off my tank with saltwater before with no problems..like for a month straight..for my new tank..only until I went overseas I got RO water for the tunze..

Yeah I dig the high profile bonsai ish scape. Mines a lowish bonsai cape, can reslly only see the detail in the scape in person..camera make sit look really crap.

I've got palm sized Fluro green rhodactis coming in when I come back. If you're interested I cal sell you one for like $15-20. It would be massive compared to other rrp mushrooms.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i use salt. hydro meter was saying 1.023 after i mixed it but was actualy 1.038 (this was a 100pct water change of that water after i moved house so they went from normal 1.024ish to 1.038 they didn't like it to much. threw out the hydrometer now and bought a refractometer

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
i use salt. hydro meter was saying 1.023 after i mixed it but was actualy 1.038 (this was a 100pct water change of that water after i moved house so they went from normal 1.024ish to 1.038 they didn't like it to much. threw out the hydrometer now and bought a refractometer
Oh now that's how..I just used nsw an also did a 100% water change before I left because that's when I re scaped my tank.

Yeah I think I need to buy one of those telescope looking ones soon and maybe I should start testing..haven't done so in a while...to be honest I don't know if I'm doing it correctly because its always the highest on the chart for all of them...