Tank Journal Archive

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Update
Caution, lots to read!

Well following my last update things haven't gone so well, went to frag some of the branches of the hammer that was loosing tissue and once out the water it was clear the whole coral was receding quite bad. Upon closer inspection every hammer was receding. So there was no point fragging I put it back and could only hope with stable parameters it would heal. After a week the recession crept up each branch to the point that the polyps would give up and float off. Pretty sad seeing my hammer I've had for so long fade away. Pulled them all out bar the Orange hammer. Until yesterday it had only receded a tiny amount but this morning it's looking terrible with most of the flesh gone and floating off the skeleton.

Remnants :(
image.jpg

What's left
image.jpg

image.jpg

Only thing that I can think that caused all this was I got some SPS in the tank and was checking parameters a lot more than usual, to keep up I was dosing a lot, tank was consuming 2dKH a day. Only able to dose manually morning and in arvos it was swinging a lot throughout the day. That and I think some MUST have been precipitating out, dosing that much alk was a lot for mainly LPS and two SPS frags even in a small tank. There's not much flow through the sump so maybe I wasn't allowing enough time between Calc and alk additions. I was as much as I could, about 15mins in the morning and bit more in the arvos.

Before that all happened I ordered a doser and some other goodies from Sewatec which would have ironically (maybe) saved my corals. This was back in July and unfortunately they still haven't (and if ever) arrived.
They started an investigation 9 weeks ago and still nothing despite their website saying they have never lost an order and insurance will pay if it is. They just tell me what I already know when they reply to my emails. With some of their reply emails hardly containing more than 3 words. Few more stern emails are headed their way. I don't care if it's been lost just tell me so I can organise something else, 4 months of this is ridiculous, and draining. Anyway end rant lol

In related news and going with the theme of this update I got a cute little tiger blenny last weekend which I've been chasing for a while. Got him home and acclimating in his bag in the tank. Missus went to say hello and he either liked what he saw or was terrified as he jumped out the bag onto the floor! Got him back in pretty quick tho last time I saw him was 4 days ago. The fall must have done some damage.
Will be making sure that doesn't happen again..

At least the tank is easy to look after atm, there's basically nothing in it!
Hopefully next update has some good news!