Tank Journal Archive

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
Updated Hardware And Some Photos!
Finally *almost* everything hardware wise is in the tank! But the IM Nuvo skimmer is throwing out ridiculous amounts of micro bubbles. They say it takes 7-14 days to break in and by then they should be gone so here's hoping. I did have to modify it a bit already though. The outlet pipe was too long and the skimmer couldn't be raised using the bracket. Simple fix, I (really, Eddie) cut off about an inch from the pipe and presto chango! skimmer is level, relatively quiet (not silent by any means but a very quiet gurgle...hopefully this will get quieter still as it breaks in) and producing good bubbles through the chamber. Dem Bubbles though!!!! :banghead:banghead:banghead

I haven't fired up the reactor yet as there isn't anything in the tank needing it just yet and I don't have and GFO for that matter...so need to get on to some of that.

In terms of top ups I'm still debating between the Smart ATO and a Tunze nano. Both look to be really good, and I've got some time right now to really do some research...Any opinions one way or the other would be appreciated!

Pumps...all the pumps! Two Fluval Sea CP1s and a Tunze 6015. With the spin streams there is a great random flow pattern. I'm stoked!

With the lights raised and now able to face directly down over the tank, lighting up the whole thing incredibly well. In the photos the only shadowing is coming from the spin streams.

I'm debating getting the inTank media baskets instead of running the stock ones. The inTank's have three large shelves that fill the entire chamber rather than just a slim housing in the compartment. Still up in the air on if I'm going to run a fuge or not either.

And now...photos!

ai100.photobucket.com_albums_m21_casper_023_IMG_0707_zpsc7cca93c.jpg

ai100.photobucket.com_albums_m21_casper_023_IMG_0696_zpsec918687.jpg

ai100.photobucket.com_albums_m21_casper_023_IMG_0706_zpsfb5a7ca9.jpg

ai100.photobucket.com_albums_m21_casper_023_IMG_0697_zps06ef2ba3.jpg

GhostRPH

Sep 19, 2012
Love my Spin Streams too.
I run 2 on my SR60 and love the flow patterns they throw out...

Tagging along for a sweet looking little set up mate

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
I already want another Nuvo tank. Other than the micro bubbles from the skimmer (bested with the ever handy filter floss shoved in the compartment trick) I have had no issues with this setup. I can see it being a higher end plug and play type deal for softies etc and it's very VERY easily modded/added to to bring it up to a higher tech marine system!

So...I hadn't really checked the water parameters just yet as I knew it'd take a while. But I plan on testing tomorrow. Readings will determine the next step! I have a feeling I'll be ghost feeding a bit. There's tons of life on these rocks (I think there might even be a coral or some sort?! There's some fancy green stuff that illuminates on one of the rocks. It isn't like any algae I've ever seen before and has a really cool pattern. I'll see if I can grab a decent photo of it this weekend.) So I'm assuming there wasn't much of a cycle. If levels read where they should I'll ghost feed for a week and then could be adding a clean up crew as soon as next weekend! The snails in the pico aren't really cutting it so I might go with a hermit crab crew in this one...and add them to the pico fully aware that they'll kill the snails for their shells. The only algae in the pico is in the rockwork and the snails are missing it. I can control/wipe off any that forms on the glass so......

suggestions?

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I have an abalone and even he doesn't cut it. They just never do so manual removal is always the go for me. Plan on getting a decent magnet soon.

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
Staring at the tank gor a bit I noticed 3 things. Two good. A free neon zoa and that random coral (I think it's a coral anyways) ..... and an aipista. Bummer. Buying lemon juice and a syringe tonight!