Tank Journal Archive

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Urgent Help Needed ?
Ok. Wondering if anyone dealing with dino's has been successful
What did you do to beat it ?
Have had no sign of it ever , all of a sudden over the last 3 weeks it became evident in my tank. Got worse by the day
98% on sandbed ?
Appears to be only algae not fuelled by high nutrients & thrives off of Good water changes
And I don't know if good or bad seems a lot of reefers here suffering unexplained outbreak like myself & all struggling for explanation as to why ?
So to stop spread getting to rock , totally removal of sand bed happened on weekend & 600lt water change , as that's what it took syphoning bed out.
Will leave bare bottom for week or so & add new sand bed later.
Just sad to see tank looking like shit & corals not overly happy either

IVe been reading every thing I can but continually seeing that tanks are being shut down with this stuff once it takes hold.
So trying to stop it early
Amy help Or suggestions very welcome
Thanks
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Wow, removing all of your sand would have taken a while - hopefully it will lead to a successful outcome.

Have you thought about a 72 hour blackout?

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
14 months. Upgrade from 18mnth old 6 x 2 x. 2
I'm not well read on dinoflagellates but people who know me will tell you that too much time on my hands leads me to experiment and cultivate, particularly algaes and I keep a couple of dozen species specimens alive in cell tanks

I've had to deal with dinos twice in two different tanks. .The first time was because I stupidly built bommies with a paver base, as shown by Mike Poletta. I didn't know that pavers (at least here) are full of silicate and I nearly had to reboot that tank but finally worked it out.

So first the conventional wisdom, then what actually worked for me, even though it goes against my preference for natural methods.

The literature suggests that dinos thrive on silicates, nutrients,(mainly nitrates) and light. Many people recommend starving them of light and I tried that but to no avail. I put a sample inside a black sealed bucket for two weeks with minimal benefit. So to my thinking, cutting light alone won't do it. I tried the same black bucket with fresh ASW - better but nothing dramatic. I stuffed around with various methods of reducing light, nutrient & silicates, both in the tank and in the bucket, - meanwhile it was taking over my tank.

In the end I tried a few products that are meant to reduce or kill algae generically and all I did was kill some decorative algae I had hidden up the back, testing it in low light.

The only thing that worked for me was this and please note that although the chemical was the key, I don't know which parts of the combination were effective so if you try this, I suggest doing it exactly as I did.

The chemical component is Chemiclean which is actually recommended for red slime algae (I've used it successfully for that too) BUT - BUT - BUT you MUST use it exactly as per instructions on the packet, particularly aerating the tank directly via an air stone & turning the skimmer off. I've heard of a new product 'Chemiclean Blue' which is targeted at other algae but I don't even know if it's been released yet, I haven't seen it yet myself.

Here's how I did it according to my tank log at the time:

Step 1.
Turned all lights off for entire treatment time plus blocked one end of tank with cardboard as it got light coming through a window. Note I keep lots of different critters but not SPS. Not sure how they would go with no light*.

Added two bags of carbon to sump, one in skimmer area, one in return pump area. You'll see why one in return shortly. Catalytic activated carbon is preferable.

Manually removed as much of the dino as possible every day, using a gravel cleaner to catch as much as possible. Ran skimmer extremely wet, it was pulling six litres of fluid a day.

Daily 10% water changes, all done by sucking up dinos with a gravel cleaner as above. I moved more than 10% but the rest went back into the sump via a 200 micron filter sock. Once I had made a serious improvement, step 2.

Step 2.
Increase magnesium to over 1500ppm. My salifert kit can't read beyond 1500. I used Kent Tech M as that's what I had on hand after experimenting with it to kill hair algae. You'll get a slight rise in PH but so be it. Mine didn't get higher than 8.45.

Lights still off. Skimmer off. reduced feeding to a light feed for fish every 2nd day, no coral or anemone feeding. Add Chemiclean as per instructions and from this point those instructions are your guide.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Chemiclean strips dissolved oxygen levels, increasing CO2 percentage in the tank. The air stone (critical) puts dissolved oxygen back and drives CO2 out of the tank, as all air stones do.

When it was all over I did 50% water changes weekly for 3 weeks and I've never had a hint of it since. A real PITA method but usually nothing that works is easy. This method was something I devised by taking what I considered the best bits from all the competing advice. I avoid chemical treatments if I can, ie I use hyposalinity treatment for ich, But I have no doubt that Chemiclean was the key. You situation will be different from mine but at least it's a start.

Good Luck.

*I keep critters that do not like sparkling clean tanks, ie gonies and many zoas so I don't dabble with SPS. I will if my gonis ever die but I've had two of them for several years and wouldn't trust their survival elsewhere.but not yet.

Last edited:

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Wow, removing all of your sand would have taken a while - hopefully it will lead to a successful outcome.

Have you thought about a 72 hour blackout?
Actually took about half an hour. Long wide hide. But kept sucking up corals too lol.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
i beat them by... wait for it.... waiting. i did nothing but wait for it to pass naturally in the tank life cycle.
When I had it this is what I did: just waited it out and it got replaced with something else.

However, my tank then was a lot smaller than yours so maybe it's a different scenario.

I wouldn't have gotten rid of your sand bed as you've lost part of your system now.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
I used local sand and have been battling with it for 4 years only thru warmer months!? No idea why.
I have tried litteraly everything!

However

I have read the comment about silica in the sand, done my research and suprise, suprise IT IS HIGH IN SILICA!!!

Now to change out the sand.....

E

ezza

I used local sand and have been battling with it for 4 years only thru warmer months!? No idea why.

However

I have read the comment about silica in the sand, done my research and suprise, suprise IT IS HIGH IN SILICA!!!

This is why sand is an integral part of glass manufacture. The sand for us is aragonite.

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland

However

Yep. Beach sand is not good for tanks, you need coral sand.