Tank Journal Archive

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Use My Time Wisely
Looks like I'll have a little more tank time over the next few months as I find myself between jobs so thought I'd start a thread in the hope I can look back on some achievements.

The tank todo list as it stands

1... Do a minor sand siphon and replace say 10mm of top sand in the front of the tank, will also use up the small bucket of sand which I've kept for 2 years

2... Improve the DC power wiring with a fused terminal box. Again had this for 2 years

3... Remove marine magic controller and connect existing dosing pumps to a opto isolated relay board controlled by my profilux. A really good hack which allows a $20 relay board to be plugged into the profilux port. Currently do my AWC via relays for the last 18 months controlled through profilux.. Profilux has two utp connectors on the back each provide 4 x 12vdc switched outputs. I simply use the outputs to switch an opto isolator which powers a relay, thus drawing little current from these outputs. I think these outputs can provide quite a bit of current as they are the same ones the LED strip light use.

4... Clean the sump out and skimmer. Never done in 3 years.

5.. Take some pics so I can give @macca_75 back his tripod which I've had for 3 years. !

Attachments

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Good on you for having a plan for doing things and not moping :) I hope you achieve all your goals just before you start your new (better paid, with nicer/sexier co-workers) job :D

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Good plan.
I don't think you'll know yourself after cleaning that skimmer.

Oh and after three years, that tripod is yours :p

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
@MagicJ Finding a reefer close to my new employer is obviously essential for that mid week coffee break. Oh should of put on the list print magicj's lcd bezel :)

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I have the shakes already. Might have to go around to his house on Sat's more often as I drop my daughter off for Gym.

Task #6: Go around to @macca_75 and calibrate his pH probe as he is to useless to do it himself.

Ziggy

Jul 6, 2015
Adelaide
@Rob, when you add that extra new sand, will that force a cyano breakout at all? I'm thinking of adding some new sand to my tank but don't want to go through another cyano or bacterial breakup. Keen to hear your thoughts. :)

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I only take the top surface off mainly in the corners of the tank and replace with maybe 6-10 mm of new sand. I use a chopstick to mix it a little with the old sand. My tank is low in Phos and nitrates so do not foresee an outbreak. I did it a year ago, more to replace the sand in the front of the tank which gets moved around. I'll let you know how I go