News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
User Upgrades
Hello everyone,

The VIP Upgrades page has been updated. Please take the time to look at what features we offer with account upgrades. We now offer yearly subscriptions which come with two months free as a bonus.

Account upgrades are important as they are what The Reefuge relies on to pay for the costs of the site.
We would like to hear some feedback on what you guys would like us to offer that would make the account upgrades better. We already give almost everything for free, so we would like to know what we can add to premium accounts to entice you guys support us.

The aim is to have 50 premium members to relieve server costs.

Thanks.

Last edited:

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Small thing, but I reckon those going for the VIP+ option, and paying double, should get a VIP+ Member badge. Can be the same colour even, just a small recognition.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Small thing, but I reckon those going for the VIP+ option, and paying double, should get a VIP+ Member badge. Can be the same colour even, just a small recognition.
Thank you for the suggestion. This has now been implemented.

The aim is for 50 users to be premium members in order to cover server costs. This will relieve the burden from me and I can spend the money on better features, etc.

Thanks again :)

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello @Synodontis,

This has now been fixed. Thank you very much for your generousity, it is very much appreciated :)

Thanks.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
@OSCAR85 VIP Access is in the top menu - there is VIP or VIP+ to choose from depending on what bonus features you would like access to or which tier you would like to donate on :)

Reactions: MTG

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello everyone,

Thank you all so much for supporting the site. It means a lot that you guys are helping the community by buying upgrades. It is really appreciated and will help make this place even better :) I am very humbled by your kind gesture.

Thank you.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello @Sam Parker,

Yes, 4 people purchased a membership between yesterday and today. It is really great to see :) This money will go towards a feature I have planned for the tank journals which I am sure you are all going to love.

Thanks.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Woo hoo, good stuff! I hope more people get on board. It really isn't a lot of money and it will help make this site even better than it already is.

If your reading this and sitting on the fence, I urge you to join!
Sam

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
My thoughts are that both levels of membership should get the same perks. Given chims idea has been implemented there is now recognition between the two levels so everyone can tell the difference.

Members can use the site for free and do pretty much anything they really need on a forum.
Then say someone comes along loves the forum and says hey I'm gonna sign up cause its awesome and I want to help out with a $50 VIP membership, as that's all they can afford, only to find out that despite willing to fork out the $50 they will be penalized for not shelling out $100.

Might turn a few people off maybe. Should get unlimited editing to if your paying imo.

Cheers

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
My thoughts are that both levels of membership should get the same perks. Given chims idea has been implemented there is now recognition between the two levels so everyone can tell the difference.

Members can use the site for free and do pretty much anything they really need on a forum.
Then say someone comes along loves the forum and says hey I'm gonna sign up cause its awesome and I want to help out with a $50 VIP membership, as that's all they can afford, only to find out that despite willing to fork out the $50 they will be penalized for not shelling out $100.

Might turn a few people off maybe. Should get unlimited editing to if your paying imo.

Cheers
Hello @Sarg,

Both levels of membership provide different services. A member who purchases an upgrade that costs double the amount should be entitled to more perks. This is not to say a members value goes down (not at all), but the members contribution goes further.

It is exactly the same at an LFS. If you walk through the door and spot a coral you like that costs $100 (VIP+), but you only have $50 then you are 'penalised' by having to settle for the cheaper coral which may not look as nice but it is still a coral that you like (VIP). It is exactly the same situation here. There are two levels of membership, VIP and VIP+, both offering their own benefits.

The forum provides a lot of services which users do not need to purchase as they come "stock" with a free account. Unlimited inbox, 50MB file uploads (so your images do not lose any quality, unlimited storage space for your attachments, state group forums + meetings, etc. All of these cost the user nothing aside from having to register a free account. Even with the state groups (take the Victorian meet as an example). Members walked away with a LOT more coral frags then they had purchased due to The Reefuge passing along donated coral from Bunarong Aquarium and Deer Park aquarium to the members for free.

The upgrades are there to boost your account even further than what it is already capable of doing and the two levels have different features available to them. A user who would just like to be able to save posts for reference later may opt to go for the VIP package. A user who would like to be able to edit their post due to them having stock for sale, or any other reason may opt to go for the VIP+ package as it suits their needs better.

Thanks.

Reactions: MTG