Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Using Fluconazole To Eliminate Bryopsis And Gha
I hope to create a journal here to show a step by step method of attempting to eliminate Bryopsis and Green Hair Algae from my marine 240L tank.
I dosed 6 x 200mg capsules of Fluconazole, mixed with tank water and poured into the sump. (It doesn't exactly dissolve, but that's OK).
I only made a couple of changes to the system before dosing:
1. I turned off my skimmer - recommended for the first 3 to 4 days so not to skim the product out.
2. Removed my bag of charcoal
3. Stopped dosing NoPox
I'll try and show a daily record of how the treatment is progressing and if there are, if any, negatives to the entire system.
Below are a couple of pics of the (nervous) start and some patches of algae that will hopefully start to disappear.
IMG_0963.JPG

The product

IMG_0966.JPG

A small patch of GHA

IMG_0969.JPG

A bit thicker patch

IMG_0973.JPG

It's in and everything is still alive - now to see what happens.

To be continued . . .

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Forgot to mention -
Left the Chaeto in and rolling
Left the Marine Pure in
Left the Siporax in.
Kept dosing Randy's
Turned off UV filter.

Jake89

Aug 17, 2016
Nowra
How'd you get your hands on the fluconazole and how much is it?

Put a plastic bowl over the skimmer so you don't get spray all over everything.
I've learnt that the hard way when emptying the skimmer cup. Had crap everywhere and didn't know where it was coming from.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I just asked my doc for a script and told him what it was for and he was OK with it. It's certainly the cheapest way to get hold of some.
Cost $38 for a 28 pack of 200mg capsules. That gives me a couple more doses if I need them.
You can always send your wife/girlfriend to get a script - no problem there.
It can be bought over the counter, but they only sell them in packets of one (120mg) for between $10 and $20 each!!!!!! You would also have to be itchy and female.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I've actually turned the skimmer off. Do you think I should turn it on, open it right up and let it flow through without skimming?
DEFINITELY keep it on mate. Fluconazole lowers the O2 saturation. I've been looking to make a 180 degree elbow for this, but here in the states all we have is SAE plumbing.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
DEFINITELY keep it on mate. Fluconazole lowers the O2 saturation. I've been looking to make a 180 degree elbow for this, but here in the states all we have is SAE plumbing.
Thanks for that mate.
I just turned it back on. I just put it on low so it aerates without going up to the skimmer cup.
I also positioned the two returns to flow above the surface and create some bubbles into the tank.

Sean81

Nov 11, 2015
Sydney, South
I'm up for watching this, I also have been watching researching this as I have a few patches of byropsis poking thru. I can live with it at the moment but any worse and to the doctor I go.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
You wont see much change for about 4 or 5 days, then you'll notice it getting a little pale, then next day it will be gone. Spots that are not in much light will take a little longer.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Day 2

Fish and corals are all looking healthy this morning.
After some good advice, I turned the skimmer back on but took the cup off so that it put some O2 back in the tank and also pointed the returns above the surface to help with the O2 also.
No visible changes at all so far, but it's early days.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Got a close up of a bit of your algae? There are mixed results of it working with GHA, but it always smashes bryopsis. Some get a little confused between the two algaes as well, which makes me think that the few reports saying it has killed it - could well be in error (and that they always had bryopsis instead).

If Fluconzale doesn't work, give a product called Vibrant a go. It has been described at killing every algae successfully (even bubble algae!) although, has had limited results with bryopsis. In short, have both on hand and you are fully insured :P

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Got a close up of a bit of your algae? There are mixed results of it working with GHA, but it always smashes bryopsis. Some get a little confused between the two algaes as well, which makes me think that the few reports saying it has killed it - could well be in error (and that they always had bryopsis instead).

If Fluconzale doesn't work, give a product called Vibrant a go. It has been described at killing every algae successfully (even bubble algae!) although, has had limited results with bryopsis. In short, have both on hand and you are fully insured :p
Is Vibrant available in Oz? Where?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Day 4

I'm not seeing any GHA turning white at all, but there does seem to be a couple of patches that have reduced in size. But not all.
Still absolutely no adverse reactions in the tank, which is nice.
Just letting the skimmer overflow.
2 weeks is going to be a long time!!