Reef Discussion

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Using Tap water in your reef tank vs RO water
Post edit from MTG

Using Tap water in your reef tank vs RO water Discussion

(tap water needs to be tested with a TDS meter to know its total dissolved solids)

personally i wont use tap water and i always recommended RO or RODI water.

let the discussions begin!

Oscar85:

maybe vic does have good water lol

Jan 22, 2012
Nice setup OSCAR85.

My first proper reef tank ran successfully for 4 years in Northern NSW using tap water and dechlorinator. This was in the early '90's though. I was also running bio balls, T8 lighting and a DIY PVC counter current air stone driven skimmer. Never had algae problems. I did live right on the water though so used to do plenty of big NSW water changes. I would still have to rely on tap water and Aquasonic salt mix when the East Coast lows would flood the rivers and dirty the water up the coast. Also for top up.

But these days, you wouldn't you take the risk with tap water given how cheap and readily available quality RO systems are.

Reactions: MTG

Kavi

Oct 25, 2012
thanks for the advice. Yes I've been using tap water for 6 months and my mate has been for 3years and this is his tank below.
what issues have arisin from using tap water?
Ive had non.
View attachment 11469
Hmmm....i ve done the same thing, used tap water for a couple of months and green n brown stuff started growing on the glasses. So u top up with tap water, no purifing, and no dosing, u mix the salt with tap water? and have a tank like that. Awsom as.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
ye
Hmmm....i ve done the same thing, used tap water for a couple of months and green n brown stuff started growing on the glasses. So u top up with tap water, no purifing, and no dosing, u mix the salt with tap water? and have a tank like that. Awsom as.
yes i mix salt and tap water lol

Kavi

Oct 25, 2012
hmm even though i have not had issues. I'm interested in getting a unit put under my sink so i can drink it too.
Any recommendations on units?
I m a newbie to the hobby, but i ve been told PSI filters are good by experts

Reactions: MTG

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
hmm even though i have not had issues. I'm interested in getting a unit put under my sink so i can drink it too.
Any recommendations on units?
Have a look at this thread http://www.thereefuge.com.au/threads/special-offer-from-psi-water-filters-ro-di-water-filters.322/ :)

Also @callum@psi is a member here and will answer any of your questions.

On the question of using tap water.....

The biggest problem is that you don't know what is going into the tap water - it might be OK today, or tomorrow but at some stage you will be caught. It is easier to prevent bad things getting into your tank than it is to get then out later.

I realise that the purchase of an RO/DI water filter is just one more expense on top of all the others but if $300 can prevent a tank crash and save $500+ worth of live stock then I think that is money well spent.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Great looking tank! I love the minimal look, though I know you are adding to it.

Talk to Brett at Bunarong Aquarium (Frankston) about tap water ... he claims to have used it for 20 years and seems to know his stuff ;) - behind the counter has has a book full of stats on Melbourne water quality.

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
Great looking tank! I love the minimal look, though I know you are adding to it.

Talk to Brett at Bunarong Aquarium (Frankston) about tap water ... he claims to have used it for 20 years and seems to know his stuff ;) - behind the counter has has a book full of stats on Melbourne water quality.
do you use tap water?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Ok TDS tap water at my place in Sydney is 180 ppm. RODI 0 ppm not changed filter in 2 years.
I used tap water back in the day when I ran T8 fluorescent Tubes. I swore that my tank would only get RODI once I made the change to a RO filter system.
Taking a look at some of the easier corals that grow in the canals of the Gold coast, there is no reason why tap water wont suffice, they cope with storm water runoff from main roads and that.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
do you use tap water?
Nope, I don't ... for the first year I kept marineI thought RO was the only way, so got used to it ... and I have a couple of nanos, so only $2 worth of RO per week from Reeflections (plus a good reason to go and gawp at the corals).

That said, if I got a bigger tank, I would get a filter.

Not because I don't believe the water is okay for use, more to @MagicJ 's point about never quite being sure what other stuff might be in there ...

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
Nope, I don't ... for the first year I kept marineI thought RO was the only way, so got used to it ... and I have a couple of nanos, so only $2 worth of RO per week from Reeflections (plus a good reason to go and gawp at the corals).

That said, if I got a bigger tank, I would get a filter.

Not because I don't believe the water is okay for use, more to @MagicJ 's point about never quite being sure what other stuff might be in there ...
id rather be safe than sorry too but it was at the bottom of my priority list as far as things to buy lol, soon tho :)