Reef Discussion

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
While we are on the subject @VaultBoy, where is a good place to get a TDS meter? I think I should invest in one, I know I should have already, have already mixed over 600L of ASW with mine plus top ups plus drinking water. Whats the life of membranes normally?

M+ were advertising these for $45, any good?
asphotos_d.ak.fbcdn.net_hphotos_ak_prn1_582323_537766529574756_656682696_n.jpg

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Are you sure its only RO if its 5 stage? What are the 5 stages?

Should be Sediment filter, carbon filter and RO membrane if its only RO. Thats only 3 stages....
it has 3 filters down bottom then two up top, on the box it said 5 stage
mine looked like this but has no DI resin
DA-RO50GX1010D_(3).jpg

mines the older version tho

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
While we are on the subject @VaultBoy, where is a good place to get a TDS meter? I think I should invest in one, I know I should have already, have already mixed over 600L of ASW with mine plus top ups plus drinking water. Whats the life of membranes normally?

M+ were advertising these for $45, any good?
asphotos_d.ak.fbcdn.net_hphotos_ak_prn1_582323_537766529574756_656682696_n.jpg
that looks decent how do you hook it up?

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
@Joshwaaaa they are good. the same ones i get but even cheaper! you can get the handheld ones through any plumbing supplier if you wanted too but that will be fine for what you want. Your membrane should last 2 years all other filters need to be replaced atleast every 12 months and earlier if water quality drops.

@MTG you jusr connect the two tee pieces inline on the inlet to the membrane and outlet of DI or membrane. There is a probe in each one and you switch the display between the 2.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Well, you don't exactly throw your fish into RO/DI (I hope).

You put that into a system full of all kinds of minerals (and tanks do suck up calcium and magnesium) already. RO/DI hits salt water and it has all of that stuff available - minus the stuff that you (hopefully) don't want in your system. Just think of the water as being very pure so it doesn't add anything else to system... which is exactly what you want because there isn't much else in tap water that you really want going into your system.
ahh ok thanks for that

Damjan

Jan 8, 2013
Melbourne
I use an RODI unit, I had a FOWLR tank years years back and used to use tap water when I could not be bothered getting RO from the LFS. I had issues with Cyano and put it down to the silicate in the water. I now live in Altona and my tap water is at 40-45 TDS which is very good, however still would not use it. an RODI unit is bugger all these days and eases my mind. I also went to Bunnings and got a couple of fittings to bypass the DI stage for drinking.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
well ill do anything to better my reefing results. I'm going to get one in a few weeks.
What LFS in vic sell RO/DI water ?
i know williamstown sell RO but not sure if its RO/DI.

Damjan

Jan 8, 2013
Melbourne
What LFS in vic sell RO/DI water ?
Not sure, most if not all LFS's that sell marine fish should sell RO, not sure wether it is RODI or not! Im sure if you ask they will let you know, or if you have a hand held TDS meter you can test it yourself.

Damjan

Jan 8, 2013
Melbourne
that looks decent how do you hook it up?
I got my 4 stage unit from 'The Reef Shop' it is made by Stingray filters and cost about 145 and is rated at 400LPD. There is a nack to fitting the TDI sensors in that the two pin sensors have to run perpendicular to the water flow. There are some vids on youtube on how to connect them up. One runs in the inflow and the other in the outflow lines of the unit. I was lucky and got mine new on ebay for $1.00.

E

ezza

Here's a little proof you shouldn't fill with unfiltered tap water!!

I ran the tank for the last 24 hrs using plain unfiltered tap water to give it a good clean out. Because of the sound in my unmodded (as yet) sump, I placed a layer of filter wool between two covers. It has filtered all this.... Thank goodness we drink filtered water!

Attachments