Reef Discussion

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Vacuum Forming -random Post But Must Have A Use !
Not quite reef related however there must be a use to create acrylic parts.

I am currently building a DIY vacuum table so that I can try and mold a fascia for an android tablet I plan to mount in my cars center console. Ive wanted to do this for years however cautious of wanting a factory look. The center dash is gloss black and it will replace a void and tissue holder in the lower part. It should be a very simple curve shape with a nice lip around where the tablet screen protrudes. Anyhow.....

Vacuum forming is when you take a sheet of acrylic 1~2mm thick heat it up and lay it over a mold, which sits on a vacuum table. The vacuum pulls the sheet onto the mold thus forming the shape. there are 100's of links however here's just the first one I found.

The sheet size Im planning is A4 size. I have a few projects where I plan on using it (if it works !) there must be some uses for this in my aquarium to create shields, canopy, containers etc. the sheet I think can be up to 3mm thick although you would loose detail. there are some very complex shapes and items people have created.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Im committed now, built the vacuum table ($13.00) and just got a small toaster oven from ebay ($20.00) to heat the sheets

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Not much to add, but I mounted a 7" touch screen to replace the radio in my Patrol about 8 years ago! Running it with a Windows 7 mini PC stuck under my dash.
Has DAB+ radio, gps, internet and connected to my amps. I used body filler / putty though.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
These are great units to muck around with. I use to use one years ago when I was building quarter scale model aircraft - it was able to produce all the intricate design shapes in lightweight plastics when we build from scratch.