Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Vertonex
Now i have been told to use Vertonex for my white spot problem, has anyone had anything to do with this

MQ-9

Nov 25, 2014
Malachite green will get the job done, but its not the most selective of chemicals. I'd expect to see some colateral damage if you dosed a reef tank with it.

MQ-9

Nov 25, 2014
Well if you wanted an example, take a nice bit of liverock, place it into a hospital tank and then dose with malachite green, then test for ammonia in the coming days. Some worms for example are not fans, even in freshwater its considered a harsh medication, effective, but harsh. Plenty of warnings for baby fish and scaleless fish. You wouldn't use it on a tank containing shrimp. I cant tell you exactly what it might kill in your reef, because who knows what weird thingys are in there, but theres a good chance it would kill some of them.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@Susan Bates as I suspect you are finding out the hard way, Cryptocaryon irritans (Marine whitespot) is a difficult parasite to deal with.

From my understanding there are probably only two ways to totally eradicate it - exposure to copper (at the correct level and at the correct time of it's life cycle) and breaking it's life cycle by preventing access to a host.

Neither of these ways can be undertaken in a display tank without access to a second hospital tank.

A bit of a generalisation, but no product can eliminate Cryptocaryon irritans and at the same time cause no problems for your corals, inverts etc. - that product does not exist - there is no magic bullet to this problem.

If you read the wording for these products, they do not claim to eradicate Cryptocaryon -

Vertonex - To assist in the treatment of white spot (cryptocaryon irritans) when corals and invertebrates are present in marine aquaria.

Polyp Lab Medic - It contains an antibiotic component and a reef-safe oxidizing agent that work together to help eliminate parasites.

What exactly does 'assist' and 'help' actually mean??

So that they are not harmful to corals, inverts etc you will find that the active ingredient is watered down to such an extent that it will have limited success against the actual parasite. Now, I'm not saying that they don't 'help' as they may manage to kill off some of the parasites and thus give the fish a chance to build up it's immunity, but they won't eliminate it. If a stress event re-occours then it is likely that you will again see white spot on your fish.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
What it WON'T kill in a reef tank would be a much shorter list. MG should be a last resort and that tank can never be used for anything else but a hospital tank or a freshwater tank, EVER. I've used it a few times at 1/4-1/2 dose on top of copper sulfate with little success.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
@Susan Bates as I suspect you are finding out the hard way, Cryptocaryon irritans (Marine whitespot) is a difficult parasite to deal with.

From my understanding there are probably only two ways to totally eradicate it - exposure to copper (at the correct level and at the correct time of it's life cycle) and breaking it's life cycle by preventing access to a host.

Neither of these ways can be undertaken in a display tank without access to a second hospital tank.

A bit of a generalisation, but no product can eliminate Cryptocaryon irritans and at the same time cause no problems for your corals, inverts etc. - that product does not exist - there is no magic bullet to this problem.

If you read the wording for these products, they do not claim to eradicate Cryptocaryon -

Vertonex - To assist in the treatment of white spot (cryptocaryon irritans) when corals and invertebrates are present in marine aquaria.

Polyp Lab Medic - It contains an antibiotic component and a reef-safe oxidizing agent that work together to help eliminate parasites.

So that they are not harmful to corals, inverts etc you will find that the active ingredient is watered down to such an extent that it will have limited success against the actual parasite. Now, I'm not saying that they don't 'help' as they may manage to kill off some of the parasites and thus give the fish a chance to build up it's immunity, but they won't eliminate it. If a stress event re-occours then it is likely that you will again see white spot on your fish.

thanks, what about the UV light i was told to buy this it would help

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
UV lights can work, but you will find that most of the 'hobby' ones are underpowered for the job they are expected to do.

Keep in mind that the parasite will only be killed if it actually travels through the UV - it does nothing to those that are in your sandbed, on the fish etc.

So, I would put a UV in the same category as the products listed above - they may help but, once again, it is not a magic bullet.

MQ-9

Nov 25, 2014
As above, they are all used to reduce the severity of the parasite outbreak, which can save the day. I run UV but its an expensive unit and the bulbs are expensive too.

MQ-9

Nov 25, 2014
The unit cost me about $350 and is at the limit of its capabilities in my 200L tank. The new 8watt bulbs are $80 each. I purchased it out of desperation after I continued losing very expensive fish after defeating a horrible brooklynella outbreak. I cant say for sure whether it was the magic bullet that stopped the secondary infections, but it was one of several things I threw at the situation. It works very well in my bare 60L hospital tank, helps injuries heal fast, but I would get a bigger one for the 200L if I had the cash, prefer to have over kill in this situation. 57W model is $850, I really need a sponsor.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I used a 24w back in the 70s, we had 3ft long ones on the 2 shop systems that were $950 ea and that was because the wholesaler just wanted to get rid of them. Doing UV 1/2 way isn't going to do much. If you're having continual bacterial outbreaks they can be the difference between life and death of your specimens.

MQ-9

Nov 25, 2014
Aqua Ultraviolet UV Advantage 8w here, I looked at that blueplanet one but the UVC scared me off.
How many litres is your tank Susan?