News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Vic Frag Meet 2013
Hello everyone,

This is the official show and tell thread for the Victoria Frag Meet. This meet was hosted by @K&J Aquatics and there were many who attended.
I would like to say a big thank you to @K&J Aquatics for their hard work and generosity in holding a large and amazing meet and the friendliness and hospitality they showed members.

I would also like to say a big thank you to @Deerpark Aquarium and Bunarong Aquarium who very generously donated a lot of extra coral for Reefuge members to frag in addition to the coral they supplied that was purchased by members. Their generosity is very much appreciated and a very kind gesture to members of The Reefuge.

Thank you to all the members who attended and enjoyed the day :)

Thanks.

EDIT: From @K&J Aquatics - http://www.thereefuge.com.au/threads/vic-frag-meet-2013.8254/page-2#post-117256

Morning all, :)

So what a day huh! Jen & I are happy to hear that everyone had a good time & enjoyed the day. Started early yesterday for us & finished early hours today lol. o_0
We have a few thank you's & smart arse remarks to make ourselves.

A huge thank you to Bunarong Aquarium!
Brett was very kind in his donation of a box of coral for the day. This was out of the blue & we did not expect or hope for this sort of generosity from either of the LFS.
All the work was done & all we had to do was slip over to the airport Friday night & pick the box up! Brett organised the box while he was planning a trip away himself. Thank you for the time, thought & effort you showed to us Brett. You did say you did not want to be acknowledged for your actions but the gesture can not go unnoticed & unappreciated by everyone at TheReefuge. :)
Also a special thanks to Richard for helping Jen pick & choose corals on Saturday morning for Sunday. Thanks Jen for the 3hr run around! Richard spent a bit of time with Jen helping with coral choice for fragging & also tips on how to frag different corals. The service at Bunarong is always top notch, if you haven't been able to make it over there, you really do need to find some time & say hi to Brett & Richard at Bunarong aquarium. :)

Another huge thanks to Deer Park aquarium!
Dave was also kind enough to donate a box of coral for the day. Again this was not expected & took us by surprise. On Saturday afternoon after loading a box of corals into the car, Dave walks out with another box of corals for the day. Now if anyone noticed the urn, coffee. sugar & chocolate sitting on the kitchen bench, this was all lent to us for the day by Deer Park. With Dave being our LFS he went out of his way to help us with the day in more ways then one. :)
Also, another huge thank you to Erin, Dave's much much better half lol. Erin stopped in Sunday morning to drop off the urn & gear, she never left! Her help cooking the BBQ & generally running around with Jen & helping her out. I'm not sure if anyone noticed Erin disappear for awhile on Sunday afternoon, but she went down to Deer Park aquarium to pick up a few more corals! How good are these guys! :)

So that's they very important guy's done, tick that off the list.

Next lot of thank you's should go to everyone who brought a plate, which looking at the table once you all got here was every bloody one! The amount of food & different choices was astounding lol. If this happens again, smaller serves huh people! but thank you for smoko for the next month tho lol. :rolleyes
Thank you to everyone who offered to help Jen with something during the day as well. It's little things like those comments that make these sort of days run so much easier & help take some of the stress off us.

Another off the list, check!

The guys doing the fragging! ugly "The Machine" man, the guy just kept cutting! I didn't see Shane away from the table very often at all. Nathan, David, Chris, Holly, Macca & I'm sure there where others lol, I just can't think of you. Thank you to you guys also, no one person would have got through it all (except maybe Shane lol) by themselves. Was also nice to a few people having a go who had never done it before. A special thanks must go to Sarah, you seemed to be everywhere helping out, bagging corals, setting them out on the bench & cleaning up at the end, helping Jen & Erin with clearing room for more food, your a little whirlwind lol. :)
Thanks to Pete / naqua for bringing over a few bags of frag plugs & another box of gloves. We ran out of plugs for the day & no stock until later this month.

Check!

Thanks must also go to people who brought their own corals for what ever reason to donate to the day.
You can be sure that if ever needed you will receive donations back should you ever need them :)

check!

Next item, as you know when Jen did her soap box speech (not a bloody sheep as implied! :p)
There was a toxic green & purple Scolly that was put up in a silent auction on Sunday. The proceeds from this auction will be donated to TheReefuge towards the running costs of the site. We are happy to say that this auction was won by @Albino (Tim) with a huge bid of, Shhhhh! sorry, it was silent. ;)
We will PayPal the winning amount direct into TheReefuge account.
This may cause the wraith of God to descend upon Jen & I as he knows nothing about this until this post. Knowing him as we do, he will no doubt have harsh words to say to us, but bugger him. We did invite the big kahuna to attend the frag day as we always do, but he was unable to make it because of commitments in other directions. I know there was rumors & speculation as to God being on site during the day lol. Was he? wasn't he? perhaps? or maybe? Who will really know??
If it wasn't for @The Reefuge, we would not be here & all of the meets & crawls we have put together would not have happened. So on this point I'm calling Gods bluff & the donation will be paid. :worship

Check!

As you can see, there has been a lot of thank you's directed at Syno & K&J, but it doesn't happen unless all of you guy's get behind it.
Without your support & participation these affairs could not happen. It's a phucking headache to pull together at times & we may ask ourselves why sometimes, but when the day is done & we look back at the fun everyone had, it makes it worthwhile. If anyone yesterday left thinking it wasn't such a great day, then Jen & I have failed. So reading the thanks means a lot to us, we have considered giving up the "team Leader" thing & letting someone else take the reins. So if anyone would like to, apply to god.

Thank you to everyone for making the day a success :D

Ken & Jen

Last edited:

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
:worship

Most of those who attended probably don't realise the time and effort that went into organising this event, but I know it was a lot, a shitload in fact. Ken and Jen, again you blew me away with your organisation, generosity and ability to make everyone feel welcome. Thanks for an awesome day.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
@rockerpeller said: P.S And to whoever bought those chocolate brownies, I want the recipe... :p
That would be my good lady wife ;) (and they weren't actually as good as they normally are). Her speciality ... reckon she bakes them at least twice a month!

My favourite were the burger cupcakes! Those things were both genius, awesome and delicious! So credit to whoever made those beauties.

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
That would be my good lady wife ;) (and they weren't actually as good as they normally are). Her speciality ... reckon she bakes them at least twice a month!

My favourite were the burger cupcakes! Those things were both genius, awesome and delicious! So credit to whoever made those beauties.
wasn't it @David 's partner @girlz0r ?

Last edited:

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Amazing day! Had a ball, was great to meet people that I hadn't met before and some that I had just the once before. Got more frags than I can poke a stick at, my tank looks like a hurricane has hit it, but Im sure they will go to good use once my new tank arrives. Ken and Jen did an incredible job as always and a massive thank you to all those who did the fragging, who brought in corals or inverts to give away and everyone who brought such an incredible line up of food. Think my favourite was the fried chicken :)Pics to follow

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Absolutely awesome day!! Big BIG thank-you to Ken & Jen and all the amazing effort they put in!! Guys that was one of the best Sunday's I've had in sometime! :rofl
I really loved meeting everyone and putting faces to names and hearing everyone's stories. Got some wicked frags out of it too :D

The fragging is under way with some keen observers waiting to snatch up a wonderful frag
2013-09-08 15.30.32.jpg

The orderly queue for the choosing of the frags, soo many lovely frags!
2013-09-08 15.30.40.jpg

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Awesome day out. Sun shining, corals stinking, food delicious, people wonderful. Not going to be able to top this day for a while! :worship
Thanks to @chimaera for letting me help take apart his delicate acan, that was an experience.

So many goodies and generosity it was overwhelming :rofl:D

After getting home and dumping everything in the sump,
IMG_0553.jpg

Took a while to unpack and mount a lot of the acro onto frags. Looking forward to seeing how they pan out over the next weeks and months. So many zoas!
IMG_0556.JPG IMG_0565.JPG IMG_0571.JPG

Lovely morph from a bunch donated by @TheJordans (middle darker one)
IMG_0560.JPG

Dead man's fingers, super creepy:
IMG_0558.JPG

Think I'll need another frag rack if I don't start putting them into the DT! (stuff at the front from today)
IMG_0562.JPG IMG_0563.JPG

Some I managed to get into the DT:
IMG_0570.JPG IMG_0568.JPG IMG_0569.JPG

A lovely bit of @Synodontis 's hammer I helped hack up:
IMG_0566.JPG

My favourite of the day: this chalice is breath-taking under blues as well as blue/white :cum
IMG_0564.JPG

Let's hope the damn evil snails, hermit crabs and the abalone are kind and don't mess it all up :rage

I really can't wait to grow this stuff and pass on the best bits to others :D And the best bit is that the other half has noticed how full things are looking - you know what that means (upgraaaaaaade). Again thanks everyone and @K&J Aquatics for putting this on :cool::p:D

Last edited:

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
Awesome day out. Sun shining, corals stinking, food delicious, people wonderful. Not going to be able to top this day for a while! :worship
Thanks to @chimaera for letting me help take apart his delicate scan, that was an experience.

So many goodies and generosity it was overwhelming :rofl:D

After getting home and dumping everything in the sump,
View attachment 18873

Took a while to unpack and mount a lot of the acro onto frags. Looking forward to seeing how they pan out over the next weeks and months. So many zoas!
View attachment 18876 View attachment 18879 View attachment 18881

Lovely morph from a bunch donated by @TheJordans (middle darker one)
View attachment 18869

Dead man's fingers, super creepy:
View attachment 18872

Think I'll need another frag rack if I don't start putting them into the DT! (stuff at the front from today)
View attachment 18871 View attachment 18874

Some I managed to get into the DT:
View attachment 18875 View attachment 18877 View attachment 18880

A lovely bit of @Synodontis 's hammer I helped hack up:
View attachment 18878

My favourite of the day: this chalice is breath-taking under blues as well as blue/white :cum
View attachment 18870

Let's hope the damn evil snails, hermit crabs and the abalone are kind and don't mess it all up :rage

I really can't wait to grow this stuff and pass on the best bits to others :D And the best bit is that the other half has noticed how full things are looking - you know what that means (upgraaaaaaade). Again thanks everyone and @K&J Aquatics for putting this on :cool::p:D
i see you went home with the chalice i was drooling over!! good pick up @holly and admire your willingness to frag up some coral for the rest of us reefers. apron suits you well also :P

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
To Ken & Jen, your tireless effort to support us hobbyists on the reefuge is truly appreciated. I'm sure the feelings are mutual among all of us that attended that your hospitality was something to admire. i personally thank you for making us feel welcome and for making it such a great day for us to what some others outside of the hobby may deem comical haha.
Once again, really appreciate all that you do; not just for me, but for everyone on the reefuge.
Cheers,
Daniel