News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Victoria Meet
Hello everyone,

Please discuss the latest Victoria meet in this thread. A big thank you goes out to Grug and Synodontis.

Thanks.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
For those that aren't aware, the VIC crew rented a bus and spent Saturday visiting 7 LFSs across Melbourne. Ken very ably drove 11 of us around, and I believe the total spend came to around $2000.

Here are some pics of the members who took part - I'm going to spam 8 more posts below, one for interesting fish/critters spotted, and one for each LFS. I figure one or more of these might be useful to add to the Reviews page of the LFS in question.

(sorry not really in order)

alh3.googleusercontent.com__5SUzLdsfUEw_UDnqaG5RbdI_AAAAAAAAD54_Qjg6atiAwe4_s640_TR_2520Bus.JPG

alh4.googleusercontent.com__6e8zOcY9SQE_UDnqYUjlc8I_AAAAAAAAD59195e24bdc7dfd4a234949ea9babf32f.jpg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__HJZ9WxXCvVU_UDnnP5VLC9I_AAAAAAAADk4_x5LOE6WfvLE_s640_TReefers_252025.JPG

alh3.googleusercontent.com__47UJHjXBEms_UDnnTASh0LI_AAAAAAAADlQ_0BuhyEhN1HI_s640_TReefers_252023.JPG

alh4.googleusercontent.com__u_wzn7HlsEU_UDnnUvHEk_I_AAAAAAAADlc_aU_XE0zcSuA_s640_TReefers_252022.JPG

alh5.googleusercontent.com__HpX6AStff4E_UDnnWdLa9fI_AAAAAAAADlo_OLQpUFKWjK4_s640_TReefers_252021.JPG

alh3.googleusercontent.com__b0sG_Q_OHFw_UDnnYFYhXFI_AAAAAAAADl0_Xb8VWAE_5tE_s640_TReefers_252020.JPG

alh5.googleusercontent.com__MzumKEktviM_UDnnZwG4X9I_AAAAAAAADmA_xACEDCkyiN8_s640_TReefers_252019.JPG

alh4.googleusercontent.com__ywOkpE6jD_Y_UDnoANH2nHI_AAAAAAAADp8_wwziLTr_8cg_s640_TReefers_252015.JPG

alh5.googleusercontent.com__lBRdtHP_pnM_UDnoszmAIjI_AAAAAAAADuo_68Okz7EO8rU_s640_Treefers_252010.JPG

alh5.googleusercontent.com__UuvySw1L94I_UDnowdGKmZI_AAAAAAAADvA_ddmy0_CVGpo_s640_TReefers_25209.JPG

alh4.googleusercontent.com__sx5WsXB1oyU_UDnoyGLKqNI_AAAAAAAADvM_sQSA7oeNhlg_s640_TReefers_25208.JPG

alh6.googleusercontent.com__XB4_dQrZ0Qs_UDnp6RGreOI_AAAAAAAAD2g_nujFFH3dX8k_s640_TReefers_25202.JPG

alh5.googleusercontent.com__Qn3UT18tlbA_UDnp79y4BdI_AAAAAAAAD2s_fFXeCjS_P9w_s640_TReefers_25201.JPG

Well what a bloody weekend it has been! :)

Those pics look great chimaera, have to admit tho, I didn't see you take half of them lol.

Really hope everyone had a great day & was happy with all the treasures we found. For the guys that made the effort to come from so far away, thank you. Most of our day's started about 06:00 & finished very late. Shantelle came up from Warnambool, DavidS from Ballarat & three others from Maryborough. After sorting out & getting our corals into the tank, it was 01:00 Sunday morning before we hit the sack. :confused:

The day started out with a ride in the dog box of a Hyundai I35 because all the seats where full with DavidS, Lee, Nadia, Marci & Jen driving, heading out to the airport to pick up the bus. Once we found the place, Jen headed into Richmond station to pick up chimaera, rockerpeller, Sarg & Shaun.

We all meet up at Deer Park Aquarium & Shantelle joined the party here also. So 09:30 rolled around & the doors opened, I dont think DavidS could have waited much longer, talk about chaffing at the bit to get started! hahaha.

The shops we covered in order where..........

Deer Park
Williamstown
Reeflections
Mentone
Fish World
TVS
Bunarong

A huge tank you to David at Deer Park for organising a coral delivery for Saturday morning & opening early for us. I think everyone made comment of the customer service David provided.
Every where we stopped was great with helping us out & answering any questions, of which there was many!
Williamstown was where DavidS & I found the two huge Zoa rocks.
Reeflections had some great looking coral's as is normal. We had to lighten them of the huge white & lime green Stylo that I'm sure many from that side of town has seen, along with a couple of Acro's. Shantelle brought another fish & this is where rockerpeller found the green polyp leather for daniel.
Mentone was a quick stop as they are just down the road from Reeflections. A few people found a bargain in here. I think DavidS emptied their bargain bin tank!
Lunch was served by a young lady at Hungry Jacks who had a "L" plate in front of her till. I think the cooks had L's also as the place was full of smoke hahaha. I think rockerpeller was going to head back here after the tour for dinner, he was really impressed with the service here!
Fish World must have wondered what had landed on their door step! With the front door closed & then this lot barge through the door hahaha. The guy's here where really good to deal with & made the effort the speak to everyone. Shantelle found some more fish in here. Nadia made her fish purchase here also. chimaera found a really nice huge feather duster worm, in between taking photo's.
TVS was another quick stop as time was getting away from us. Well worth the stop too. Not many of us had been here since they started selling marine. rockerpeller found some very interesting Morph's, we found a nice red/green Chalice & for the life of me I cant recall what DavidS got while I was standing right beside him!

Now time for another huge thank you,
Bunarong Aquarium,
It was 16:20 when we walked out of TVS, Bunarong closed at 17:00. We walked in the door at 16:50 so only just made it. Brett was good enough to stay open until 18:00 for us. I hope Richard, one of the staff, didn't mind working overtime to help us all out. You should have seen everyone's head spin around when he walked over an announced that it was 98% discount time! He took the time to explain a lot of things to Nadia who is very new to the hobby which was much appreciated. We found some water melon Chalice, apple chalice & a green Goni for Jen.
Now for the kicker to end the day, without solicitation from anyone in the group, Brett has made a donation of three products to TheReefuge! He asked for nothing in return, no recognition of this donation was required by Brett, no big write up or publicity, nothing, of course this is not in the nature of Reefuge member's, so again Brett, THANK YOU, your generosity is greatly appreciated.

We will be in contact with thereefuge to see if we can organise a few comp's where these products will be offered as prizes. So stay tuned to this channel for further details.

So what did we achieve with the day? We got to get together with our friends, we got to see stores that a lot would never have been to, we got to speak with people who can help us with a problem & 11 people put a total of $2270.00 into seven different LFS in one day.

Thank you to all who made Ken & Jen's day both long & enjoyable :)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Great write up, K/J-en. And thanks again for getting the bus and driving us around all day.

I got home thinking about how lucky I was to live nearby such great LFSs. I think many people down here look jealously to NSW and particularly QLD for the fish stores, but I think we have a pretty impressive selection in these 7 stores, all within 50ks of each other.

'vspec'

Aug 26, 2012
Melbourne
Fantastic effort all round.

Like the A team "Don't you just love it when a plan comes together"

We will organise a follow up with the stores to personally thank them once again. :)

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Ok I'll throw up a few posts now that I've finally finished the moonlights.

Photos are thumbnails and were taken with a Galaxy S2. I'll crank the DSLR over later today.
Fire and Ice zoas
20120826_065744.jpg

And heres the 2 morphs I managed to see.
Has a wicked green frill under RB leds.
20120826_065838.jpg20120826_194255.jpg
This one has yellow spots which pop up under RB leds
20120826_065906.jpg20120826_194311.jpg

Frag rack zoas. The zoas I picked up were the pink speckle (below the red speckle zoa tile) and the top left frag which has a red frill purple centre
20120826_065815.jpg20120826_194136.jpg

I have no clue how I spent so much... I must've been dropping money the whole day lol

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
stuff this, next time im taking mums credit card :P hehehehe she wont no :D thanks rocka for picking out the leather for me, and thanks to ken & jen for holding it for me untill tonight, was a good drive :D untill i got egged on the way home lol. little pricks will be sorry next time. looks like everyone had a good time. excited to see everyone else's photos. once again goodwork to everyone that organized it.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Ok I'll throw up a few posts now that I've finally finished the moonlights.

Photos are thumbnails and were taken with a Galaxy S2. I'll crank the DSLR over later today.
Fire and Ice zoas
View attachment 6472

And heres the 2 morphs I managed to see.
Has a wicked green frill under RB leds.
View attachment 6474View attachment 6477
This one has yellow spots which pop up under RB leds
View attachment 6475View attachment 6478

Frag rack zoas. The zoas I picked up were the pink speckle (below the red speckle zoa tile) and the top left frag which has a red frill purple centre
View attachment 6473View attachment 6476

I have no clue how I spent so much... I must've been dropping money the whole day lol
That yellow spot morph is amazing! Nice pick up. The pink zoas look great too.