Tank Journal Archive

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
Vinegar As An Amino Acids Preservative
In this journal entry I'd like to share a little successful experiment I am running since Aug 2016, mixing Amino Acids with Vinegar.

I had been manually dosing 10ml/day of Seachem Reef Plus and I was determined to find a way to plug it to da dosing pump. The only problem is that AA will decay if not refrigerated.
Acropower claims it can be automatically dosed, I tried it, but unfortunately I wasn't pleased with the results, specially in comparison to the other brands I tried (100% Reef Safe, KZ and Seachem).

Also, vinegar is commonly used as food preservative and I had already been auto dosing it, so the obvious choice was to mix them up. Voilá, I killed two birds with one stone.

Not only Vinegar works as preservative for AA, it also saves a extra dosing pump head and promotes a level of stability I was struggling to reach with manual dosing.

When I first started, I asked Randy on R2R and here is the thread, if you wanna know more:
http://reef2reef.com/threads/can-i-mix-vinegar-and-amino-acids.260404/#post-3092610

ac2.staticflickr.com_6_5601_30676878444_f362d7d34b.jpg