Tank Journal Archive

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I pushed up the dose to 20ml, the nitrates are holding here. I went to 15ml and at 16, 17, 18 and 19ml, the nitrates just kept increasing.

We went collecting yesterday and caught about 200g of small grass shrimp and 900g of silversides. Silversides fetch damn near $20/ lb here. I know the ones I collected are fresh and clean. This time of year they're schooling up to head south and are an easy target if you know where to look and how to collect them. I'll be starting a thread tonight about it and the gear you'd need to go catch your own foods.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I enjoy eating school prawns even better tasting if you catch them yourself.
There is not a lot I would not eat that I catch...
Sadly this year has only seen one fishing trip due to working, on the upside the tank is getting plenty of pocket money spent on it.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I pushed up the dose to 20ml, the nitrates are holding here. I went to 15ml and at 16, 17, 18 and 19ml, the nitrates just kept increasing.

We went collecting yesterday and caught about 200g of small grass shrimp and 900g of silversides. Silversides fetch damn near $20/ lb here. I know the ones I collected are fresh and clean. This time of year they're schooling up to head south and are an easy target if you know where to look and how to collect them. I'll be starting a thread tonight about it and the gear you'd need to go catch your own foods.
Tag me in this new thread pls

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Up to 25ml here and 20ml on M's 2' cube and holding for a few days. The water got cloudy in her tank for a day so I'm gonna hold hers there. The nitrates are damn near undetectable in my tank and just a trace showing in hers.

In other news I'm looking at yet another surgery on my leg, my toes have been turning purple so I have that to look forward to next week. We're working on setting up the quarantine system here at the house for our stuff so stay tuned for that. That has been a slow process, every time I think I have it, I find something that needs to be repaired before I forge ahead. There is a mix of copper and aluminum wiring in the house and I have been puling new wires the last 2 weeks to make sure everything's up to snuff. I'm going to put in the outlets today, get some 10x10 posts to notch for the uprights and we should be ready to fill next weekend. It's been raining here all week, 22cm of rain here. 700km to the south they've gotten damn close to 50cm! Mother Nature has been warning us and we still aren't getting the message.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I guess I oughta update this thing. I ended up at 75cc in the 93 and 55 in M's 2' cube. One word of warning to those that are starting to dose vinegar, DO IT SLOWLY!!! Otherwise you'll have a boiling mass of snot in your tank and sump. I got a little ahead of myself with the QT system and ended up with a damn mess that took the better part of a week to clean up. Nitrates are 4-5, phosphates are on a damn roller coaster, between .02 and .09 from the rock leaching it out. I didn't cook this rock for any length of time since it was older rock, live and learn.