Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Vinegar
Hi I have been dosing vinegar to try and help my nitrates but my PH has started to drop,what is the best to bring it up, is reef builder good for that please, I have dropped from 8 to 7.8

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
Susan,
how are you dosing Vinegar?

How much vinegar per day? Is it split in multiple doses? What is the tank volume?

Vinegar is meant to be added in small doses, which won't affect pH in a tank with enough buffer (alkalinity).

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Susan,
how are you dosing Vinegar?

How much vinegar per day? Is it split in multiple doses? What is the tank volume?

Vinegar is meant to be added in small doses, which won't affect pH in a tank with enough buffer (alkalinity).
I add slowly through the day, 55ml in 400lt tank dkh is 7.8

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Does the pH stay low or does it change from day to night?

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
I add slowly through the day, 55ml in 400lt tank dkh is 7.8
That should be ok. How are you testing pH?

Like @Buddy said, it is quite common for pH to drop at night, so if your first test was during the day and second one was after lights went off, the pH drop is expected and unlikely to be related to Vinegar.

I have measured pH drop, due to Vinegar, in my 200l tank and doses larger than 5ml will drop pH for a short period. Using the same logic, I would keep your doses under 10ml. I would try doses as small as 5ml.

In addition, this nightly pH drop is no a big deal and most of the time is not worth trying to correct it. Still, it can be minimised by allowing fresh air to enter the tank's room; or reverse light cycle refugium; or with a Co2 Absorber (expensive) inline with the skimmer.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
That should be ok. How are you testing pH?

Like @Buddy said, it is quite common for pH to drop at night, so if your first test was during the day and second one was after lights went off, the pH drop is expected and unlikely to be related to Vinegar.

I have measured pH drop, due to Vinegar, in my 200l tank and doses larger than 5ml will drop pH for a short period. Using the same logic, I would keep your doses under 10ml. I would try doses as small as 5ml.

In addition, this nightly pH drop is no a big deal and most of the time is not worth trying to correct it. Still, it can be minimised by allowing fresh air to enter the tank's room; or reverse light cycle refugium; or with a Co2 Absorber (expensive) inline with the skimmer.
do you mean dose 10ml at a time or 10 ml in total?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
just tested again it 4 hours later 5.45 pm and it is up to 8 again:cum
What time do your lights come on?

Also, if you are getting a 0.2 swing in pH I wouldn't even worry about it.

do you mean dose 10ml at a time or 10 ml in total?
Small frequent doses are better than a few larger doses.
I dose 70ml per day and split it up by 14 x 5ml. Also I only dose while lights are on to minimise pH drop.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015

I dose 70ml per day and split it up by 14 x 5ml. Also I only dose while lights are on to minimise pH drop.
thanks, how big is your tank

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015

my lights come on at 10am

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I am dosing 55-60 ml a day in my 400 lt,is that too much? i have 3 rather large tangs as well as other fish in there
It just depends on your tank. I am not heavily stocked.
If your dosing is keeping your nutrient levels where you want them to be then it's fine.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
It just depends on your tank. I am not heavily stocked.
If your dosing is keeping your nutrient levels where you want them to be then it's fine.
I have only started a few weeks ago dosing, and have been increasing slowly, also added a new skimmer 2 days ago( coral box) so i haven't seen any improvement as yet,but hoping, everything else in my tank is reading good but those DAME NITRATES:banghead

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Just for example, in my tank I increased the dose by 10ml per week. I didn't see any results until about 50ml per day and then nutrients plateaued.
After that its just small tweaking to get the nutrients to fall and then stay where you want them.
If you change your fish load or feeding amount then you will just need to keep an eye on things to see if anything changes.

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
Hi Susan,
I meant 10ml per dose or less.

For your reference, I dose 120ml a day, on a tank half the size of yours. You can keep increasing the daily dose, until you notice a drop in Nitrate.
If you ramp up it slowly, it is quite safe.

The signs it is working will be increased skimmate and white film on the glass.