Reef Discussion

BoratJr

Mar 20, 2013
Wollongong
Water chemistry help
Hi, my water results i have been following are.
Ph:8.2-8.4
Salinity:1.024-1.026
Ammonia:0
Nitrate:0-20ppm max
Nitrite:0
Calcium:450ppm
KH:150-170

I have been getting more algae than usuall in my tank. My nitrate is now at 5-10ppm and everything else is spot on. I was just wondering if i can have some advice on what it should be and also if the other test's im doing are correct aswell..
I think the algae is caused from high nitrate so i done a water change early about 15%.

Thanks.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I would look at checking your phosphate. Algae needs three nutrients, nitrogen phosphate and potassium.

We have 400ppm potassium in our water so no shortage there, but nitrogen and phosphate as in shorter supply ie hopefully nitrate under 1pmm and phosphate under .06ppm

BoratJr

Mar 20, 2013
Wollongong
Ohk thanks. Ill look into getting a phosphate test kit. Im guessing my nitrate is too high then sitting at 10ppm.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
talbot strikes again! after your done with the poly filter look at getting a ferrous based phosphate remover such as rowa phos

BoratJr

Mar 20, 2013
Wollongong
Ohk then i was told to get a poly filter from the start but wasnt too keen. Untill i have this problem so now i got one and doing more regular water changes. Do you think every 4 days is to much? Only doing it that often to lower my nitrate and phosphate levels abit then i will go back to once a week 5-7 days.. Cheers

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
As long as the water is the same temp and SG, as I understand it, there's no harm in doing more frequent water changes, or just a couple of really big ones.
Good luck!

BoratJr

Mar 20, 2013
Wollongong
From a guy i was talking to that owns kiama lfs, because i have no protine skimmer and didn't no much about the hobby.

BoratJr

Mar 20, 2013
Wollongong
Ok.. Was curious why my salinity was always sitting at 1.024, been that way for weeks now so i took my hydrometer to my LFS.. It was inacurrate. So i tested it with their hydrometer. Salinity is 1.014!! really bad. So i ended up getting a new one.. (Red Sea).

On the same note i am using API test kits. Nitrate said 20ppm, not real bad but not good either. Got it tested with an aquasonic test kit it read 0ppm.. So all the extra water changes and stress was for nothing! I will be looking at getting better test kits in the future. No more cheap and nasty.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
honestly mate hydrometers are a bit of a waste, get a refractometer. They are alot more accurate.

Goes back to the asking before buying thing, most shops will sell you what they want to get rid of.

If you are ever in the sutherland area I would be happy to test your water with hanna/red sea and refractometer

BoratJr

Mar 20, 2013
Wollongong
Thanks aussieant, is a refractometer the same just more acurate?

I dont even thing the LFS sold them because the hydrometer i brought was what they used and recomended.