Reef Discussion

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
water clarity - getting rid of particles?
gday Reefers :D

what im wondering is I have a fair amount of particles flying around in the open water of my tank. Im wondering if my mechanical filtration is doing its job as it should be but I did remove about a third of the amount of the filterwool that I had in my main filtration that was just really clogged up and gunky.

but I am sure that the amount of particles that are seen floating around is a little bit more than what should be there. the tank has been stirred up somewhat and will probably settle somewhat but I have always had some form of floating partices in my tank, never a crystal clear, no floaties look.

any hints tips ideas?

jamie :D

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
Hey mate, you can try adding an aquarium safe flocculant to the water. The flocculant should help bind the small particles into bigger heavier ones that are more easily captured by your mech filtration. I can only think of one of the top of my head and thats Aquasonic Aqua-Boosta. Most clarifier products do much the same thing but not so much as effectively as a proper flocculant. ;)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
option to.
get a strong pump. can be a return pump or anything. wrap it in filter wool and tie it on with rubber bands. shit this in his display, stir up the water all the particles will get stuck in the filter wool. after a few hrs remove the pump and throw out the wool. works great

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
When I filled my tank with sand, there was shit everywhere. I punched a few holes in the bottom of a cordial bottle; filled it with filter wool; connected up a pump - drop the pump in the tank and sit the bottle up on one of the braces. It cleared my tank overnight. A standard canister filter would work just the same.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
thanks heaps for the idea's guys!

definately a few ways to do it thats for sure. I have a small cannister filter in there that is carrying a phosphate removing media in a medium wool.
filter socks seems the way to go aswell.

I am in the process of actually making a sump, well actually 2! if I only went the one it would only hold around 30L and thats without anything in it, I worked out 2 will hold 76L without water dispertion, so thats in the process and will be up in the next few weeks, just need to work out a return pump size as it will need to push 1.2m up head.

as for a flocculant, I have used similar products in the past on freshwater and as much as i used to think these sorts of additives were great I have been wary as ever since with the likes of purple up blow my calc way high.

not sure bout the floccullant but the binders I have used in the past have also made particles to heavy and they just drop to the sand bed, anyone else had these probs?

cheers for the ideas guys, will def try them to clear it all up :D

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I have the same prob in my display... I have always read that mech filtration is not ideal as it removes a lot of what the corals eat. Is this really a problem? should I get my self a filter sock?