Tank Journal Archive

Pierre

Aug 6, 2015
Water In
So I've decided to set the tank up and get my cycle started.

I went wrong initially with having some live habitant first :) :

ai24.photobucket.com_albums_c7_Pierre_Pommier_IMG_2538_zpsepabjrqb.jpg

I went to a new shop I found online for some LR. For people around Brisbane it's 100% Reef Safe near Redcliffe. Pretty cool shop with low prices. ($10/kg for LR and NSW 10c/L)
They had a 9 year's old display tank that was incredible. I've made a small video of it:

So I bought about 3kg of LR and got some Red Sea dry sand.
So I tried tried to work out a shape or two:

ai24.photobucket.com_albums_c7_Pierre_Pommier_IMG_2574_zpsvdjj2rd3.jpg

ai24.photobucket.com_albums_c7_Pierre_Pommier_IMG_2576_zpscf5gzgbp.jpg

After asking the my partner, I tried to reproduce the shape in the tank. Easier to say than to do with that narrow top.
I tried to keep a similar scape we were happy with and get the old structure stable without any glue or anything else. I'm quite happy with the result, but may revise it once I'll evaluate the water flow.

Here's the scape done in the tank, no water:

ai24.photobucket.com_albums_c7_Pierre_Pommier_IMG_2582_zpsj4u45bds.jpg

I'm using the system that comes with the tank to do the cycle, and I'll upgrade with the MP3 once @Neillw will send it to me; while using the media I'm running now.
I'm using natural sea water.
I bought my Media, Marine Pure from Pet City(mix of cubes and balls). I'm using some brand new one for a few days, and then I'll go get some "used" one from their tank later. It was recommended by one of the staff there. (I hope I didn't get abused there).
Do you have any recommendation in term of media, as I admit, I'm a bit confused with the best option.

Then I added the water, just to look at it messing up with the sand :). I'll refine the sand spread when the water clears up:

ai24.photobucket.com_albums_c7_Pierre_Pommier_IMG_2586_zps704s6hua.jpg

So that's where I'm at and will monitor the levels in the tank (bought water testing for Nitrite, Nitrate and Phosphate).

One last picture for the current set up in the room:

ai24.photobucket.com_albums_c7_Pierre_Pommier_IMG_2587_zpsrsy5fknz.jpg

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

Pierre

Aug 6, 2015
I've found my first Hitchhiker yesterday. I'm fairly sure it's a tiny Abalone. Looks like a little clam with tinny legs. Similar to this:
awww.aquariumcreationsonline.net_images_abalone.gif

It rushed to hide in the rocks when I turned the light on.

I read that this is a good one.
As I'm cycling, I'm not sure it will make it tho.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I like the look of the aquascape - it should look nice with a few corals.

And, yes, that picture looks like an abalone - they can get quite large over time. Hopefully it will survive your cycle.