Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Hi has any one had any experience with a cross flow wave maker please
Gyro or Gyre ? There was hype about it when it was firstly introduced as it simulates the natural wave as how the ocean is .. but then the hype died down and I think people still go back to normal wavemaker.

Apology didn't really answer your question hehe

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
I have a Maxspect Gyre 150. The gyre function basically allows you to reverse one of the thrusters so that it pushes water in 2 directions. I dont use the Gyre function but for me it has replaced my wavemaker because of 2 reasons, firstly the profile is much slimmer than any other wavemaker and secondly unlike a wavemaker , this thing seems to create an even flow right around. As you can make out I love to be technical and in depth :D

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
I haven't, but now I am curious what a cross flow wave maker is? :)
^ A Jebao version of Maxspect Gyre available at fish street

I have a Maxspect Gyre XF130 on a 3' tank and run it on a short pulse. No experience with the Jabao cross flow.
The good:
- It pushes a lot of water
- Visually much less intrusive than a traditional powerhead
- Very quiet at 60% power or less

The bad:
- Fragile during maintenance and the rubber bushings wear out (maybe improved in gen2 or the jabao version)
- Laminar flow
- The reverse mode is crap, IMO running two units on opposite sides is a better option

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
I have a Maxspect Gyre 150. The gyre function basically allows you to reverse one of the thrusters so that it pushes water in 2 directions. I dont use the Gyre function but for me it has replaced my wavemaker because of 2 reasons, firstly the profile is much slimmer than any other wavemaker and secondly unlike a wavemaker , this thing seems to create an even flow right around. As you can make out I love to be technical and in depth :D
1 or 2 on a 400lt tank?

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
1 or 2 on a 400lt tank?
Just one but its a red sea max so it has circulation pumps as well. Though mind you I just run it at 30% any more and it is a sandstorm . For a 4-5 foot DT one is enough I would say but running it in Gyre halves the output capacity as only one motor runs at a time so if you want to run it in Gyre you will need 2