Reef Discussion

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
Wavemaker Placement
Ok so i have noticed the front part of my sand is getting moved away from the wavemaker and I'm not keen on how its looking with the glass on bottom.

Any tip or tricks on wavemaker placement to give coral flow but not blow sand around.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I place my power heads the nearest I can get it to the surface without it sucking air and also facing up slightly without creating so much turbulence that the water makes noise.

You then need to balance out the power with how far you are trying to throw the water. if you have a really powerful wave maker you cant expect to point it to the shortest opposing glass face without it moving the sand around, so look at 45* angles down the tank or the full length of the tank with your most powerful ones and then blunter angles for your less powerful ones.

You also need to play around with the placement to get no dead spots and also not blast any corals directly, this does take some playing around.

Although not its intended purpose, I find KZ's coral snow really useful to see how the water is moving in the tank

jart

Apr 10, 2015
@NiCd has said it much better than I ever could.

I will add that I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet. Whenever I have ever changed my scape (even in the tiniest way) or added a new coral other than a zoa it has changed slightly the flow in my tank and sometimes resulted in the issue you are facing.