Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Wavemaker Protection
Is this like a good idea to cover wavemakers?

https://www.punchwithjudy.com.au/shop/thread-nets-by-superior-threads.html

ai.imgur.com_dvhSaN8.jpg

it's basically like a mesh bag where you just slot the wavemaker right into it and the mesh is quite fine too.

obviously this is to protect those BTAs from being minced.

what's your thoughts? good or bad idea?

50 cents each ... when clogged, dump and replace with new .. i would imagine replace every hmmmm 2 months .. so 1 wavemaker would cost 3 dollar yearly, so price wise sounds okaaaay ... but not sure about quality and usage in saltwater.

Someone from Reef2Reef is using it (last year) and am trying to get her input on it.

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
It will, but it will certainly get clogged and increase the frequency you have to clean it and also reduce the flow in the pump.

When my BTA got too close, I did something similar with those very coarse black sponges for aquarium use, cut in half to make it thinner and wrapped to the pump with zip lock.

ezza

Sep 17, 2017
Wellington, NZ
Is this like a good idea to cover wavemakers?

https://www.punchwithjudy.com.au/shop/thread-nets-by-superior-threads.html

View attachment 57491

it's basically like a mesh bag where you just slot the wavemaker right into it and the mesh is quite fine too.

obviously this is to protect those BTAs from being minced.

what's your thoughts? good or bad idea?

50 cents each ... when clogged, dump and replace with new .. i would imagine replace every hmmmm 2 months .. so 1 wavemaker would cost 3 dollar yearly, so price wise sounds okaaaay ... but not sure about quality and usage in saltwater.

Someone from Reef2Reef is using it (last year) and am trying to get her input on it.
That’s brilliant! I keep losing starfish in the wavemakers. I also lost a $50 coral banded shrimp :( I am interested to see how you go!

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
I assume I need to cover the whole wavemaker and not just the sides?

I was thinking of only covering the side as the front, logically it constantly blowing so what the chance of bta can launch itself to the front of wavemaker?