Tank Journal Archive

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
We Are So Annoyed !
Just spent a bomb on a red BTA. He is the most expensive piece in the tank and he choses to move to the back of the tank These 2 photos are the best view we can get. Grrrrr. That's the best underneath shot. Next one is all you can see without a bloody ladder !! Any ideas on how to get him to move safely ?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Asking nicely? :P That's a massive pain in the arse lol change some flow and he might move, although I'll leave that to the nem experts lol

E

ezza

Think like a nem and if you can peel him off the rock there, just do it and put him somewhere nicer... I lifted the rocks out of the water and let them peel themselves off before placing mine in more preferable places.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Think like a nem and if you can peel him off the rock there, just do it and put him somewhere nicer... I lifted the rocks out of the water and let them peel themselves off before placing mine in more preferable places.
I actually have a lot of trouble peeling BTAs off rocks. They seem to find the wholes and I actually killed one moving it to make room for this one. Was devastated !!

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
It's only early days, give it a it of time. I think you will find that it will still move around a bit more before it settles.
Mine moved from the prime spot I gave it at the front of the tank and proceeded to go through the rock work till it found a spot it liked. It's now attached under a rock but comes out fully opened during full light and goes back under at night.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I agree to giving it time. Mine wanted the dark for the first few days, now stretches for the light. Rather risk not seeing it for a few days instead of stressing/hurting it ;)

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Think of it as a long term investment. mine took 1 year to come from around the back of the tank. I biult caves and rock formation numerous times , however moved to the ront about 6 months ago looks GREAT now.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Think of it as a long term investment. mine took 1 year to come from around the back of the tank. I biult caves and rock formation numerous times , however moved to the ront about 6 months ago looks GREAT now.
I bloody hope so. still grrrrr though lol

Bungee

Feb 19, 2014
How inconsiderate. You could always put a mirror at the back of the tank so you can see him ;). I hope your clowns dont start hosting it then you wont see them either. lol

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
How inconsiderate. You could always put a mirror at the back of the tank so you can see him ;). I hope your clowns dont start hosting it then you wont see them either. lol
you would think that something that expensive would at least have some manners...lol
Some one else suggested the mirror....and yes the clowns have found it......but still prefer green one in front of the tank...thank goodness.

Bungee

Feb 19, 2014
It is a very nice nem though..What i saw of it. Fingers crossed he see's the light and perches back on the top of the rocks.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
The powerhead directed at it seems to work. I've just added another powerhead to the tank and my nem (not a BTA) that has been in the same place for the last 4 years went for a walk, so it works, although there was also some competition going on with a coral it didn't like.

Other option is a reaquascape - I can hear the sobbing starting now at the thought!

If you do happen to be able to get easy access to it, I've found that placing it where you want it and putting something over it that stops it from wandering, like a cut off soft drink bottle, helps it to settle where you want it. Once they've secured their foot in the same place for a while they tend to stay put.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
The powerhead directed at it seems to work. I've just added another powerhead to the tank and my nem (not a BTA) that has been in the same place for the last 4 years went for a walk, so it works, although there was also some competition going on with a coral it didn't like.

Other option is a reaquascape - I can hear the sobbing starting now at the thought!

If you do happen to be able to get easy access to it, I've found that placing it where you want it and putting something over it that stops it from wandering, like a cut off soft drink bottle, helps it to settle where you want it. Once they've secured their foot in the same place for a while they tend to stay put.
All great ideas, thanks so much for the suggestions. BUT and its a big but he has is arse lodged firmly inside the large center pillar and stretches out for light and food only. at night you cant even see him is is deep in a cave. Researched this particular bta and apparently its exactly what he will do in the wild, doesn't live in nooks & crannies like most nems but caves !!!! grrrrr....cant even tough him when he retreats. Bloody thing lol