Tank Journal Archive

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Weekly Update - Star Fish, Parameters And So On.
Last week we got a starfish, I was a bit apprehensive a few hours later because I barely assimilated it and after all I have a nano tank - I was worried it might stave. But it is going really really well - moving about the tank. This weekend coming I will be getting it some food to see how it responds to it - If it eats then that is great!

I had some tests done on the water, and If you read my other thread you'd know but these were the problems:
  • kH - 14.
  • pH 8.0
  • Phos 0.25 mg/mL

So while I haven't been dosing the tank with anything - I have been using artificial seawater (redsea salt) and I am beginning to think that this might be cause of the problems. So the plan is to continue with water changes with natural sea water. The next water change I will clean out the filter (something I've haven't done thus far). Previously I clean the protein skimmer's air stone - it did have some weird residue on it.

I bought a scraper to clean the glass and the back wall... It is pretty much a WAND. It is magic. Why did I not have one earlier?!?

I did have some small reefs cape problems, but they are sorted and now my hammer coral is quite close to my cespitularia.... The cespit is touching it every now and then... I will address this problem tomorrow.... If need be.

other than that, everything seems to be going well - the shrimps are good, they have eggs.... I DONT NOT WANT MORE SHRIMPS, but i was reading that they most likely will not survive....

This weekend I am going to make a list of tasks that I need to perform every week as well as looking at the diet the fish and invert!

Now, here are some photos for your viewing pleasure:
IMG_9078.jpg

I thought this was HILARIOUS HAHAHHA, jus' sittin' there. HAHA

IMG_9086.jpg
IMG_9095.jpg

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Looking good Dean!

May have missed it in your other thread, but did you get some test kits?

E

ezza

Dean, you are a natural at this! Well done. It's lovely.

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Cool beans. I have a Hanna egg for P04 and wouldnt go back to other methods for this now, it so easy to use!

Hanna are also really great with customer support. I got the P04 checker/egg from a MASA member 2nd hand and they didn't include the glass vials (unbeknown to me at time of purchase), i contacted Hanna to ask if i could buy some new ones....... they sent me some for free :)