Reef Discussion

Weigh Isolate Protein Powder For Amino Acid Replacement
Ok, it has started. I have been dosing Whey Isolate protein powder to supplement my amino acid requirements.

Its come off the back of a guy doing so on Australian marine fanatics and he's had astonishing results. The mix involves non flavored Whey Isolate powder, one teaspoon mixed into one liter of RO water. There are reasons not to mix that much at the start as you might want to start at lower dosage rates.

Use of a doser is advantageous and at present i am dosing 5ml of the mixed solution every hour of the day. Mixing more concentrated batches may see you skimmer go mental for a couple of hours.

The guy on the fanatic page was dosing up to 10ml every hour with now adverse effects on the skimmer or his whole system for that matter. He saw incredible results with polyp extension on his sps going through the roof.

So i am at 5ml/hr x 24hrs a day, been dosing for one week now. Corals are looking fine and i have seen some polyps starting to show on my sps that has not been doing so for some time. I only mix half a teaspoon in 500ml as larger amounts go off as start to smell. So keep it small amounts and obviously you'd need to mix up more often... I only work four days out of every ten so i have heaps of time to do these kind of things!!:p I get just over four days of dosing this way.

Stay tuned for before and after pics, i intend to keep the info coming and if i get the same results it will mean cheap way to feed corals. I buy my Whey Isolate powder in smaller bags for $10 a small bag. Bigger amounts can be pricey initially but you are never going to get through it anyway.

ps. this method does not send your phosphates ballistic.... My phos has been between 0 and 0.05.

Last edited:

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
I use the hydrolyzed whey protien it is more potent and less side effects on skimmer when the dose increases.

I have tested Mixing one tea spoon into 1ltr tank water for PO4 it raises the mix to 0.4ppm. Though i am dosing this to 5000ltrs so dilution 5000-1 make the phos addition insignificant.

Dont expect magic results though, its no real improvement on zeo amino etc, just cheaper. Some systems don't run amino deficient so no real gains. I find using a carbon dose the systems require the addition to get the best coral vitality, seemingly the extra bacteria production is depleting them. Though still very important to have good lights, water chemistry etc.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
No real gains?! ROFL :D
Ya gotta be on the juice to get good gains. :D

Just an FYI about whey protein, it breaks down VERY fast, within an hour. Those that are dosing it might wanna keep it cool, fouled amino acids rival a dead anemone for smell. I got the screamy screamersons from some that I mixed up and took after a workout, you'll only do that once, lol!