Feb 25, 2013
Hey mate.
What do you mean "cooked the reactor".
Did you drop the PH too low?
Tank still looks cool BTW.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Well the coral have taken on that pastel look - I would say due to the new gravel. Let's see how they go further.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Oh no!!!! We are having mass RTN - both Spath, lokani, and others. Likely due to adding that gravel!
Shit happens , to the best of us at times.

There is nothing I can do at this stage, the seed has been cast and I'll just have to wear it!!!

Hindsight should've added a cup of gravel a day but the heavy hand of Nils.....

I had a bare bottom tank with the Aitutaki reef and added this gravel , last time I did that I only had improvement...

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
What are you doing!? :( sorry to hear pieces have been lost man :(

Hopefully it's all settled down though??

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
How's the damage mate? hopefully everythings calmed down and realised its not all bad!
Unfortunately it's not the case. Every single SPS RTN. Same goes for the LPS.
Time to do a complete water change and spring clean I guess. Oh and restock the tank.

Bill

Oct 19, 2017
Are most of you from austrailia
Hopeing to get some local knowlage on zoanthids in the wild
Thanks for your time

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Unfortunately it's not the case. Every single SPS RTN. Same goes for the LPS.
Time to do a complete water change and spring clean I guess. Oh and restock the tank.
:cry:dead:rage:dead:rage:cry:banghead:cry:cry

Duuuuudddeeeeee :( please tell me the fish are all still going strong at least?????

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Fish are good-
Sakura sunrise are sulking and same with purple paly.
One favia and micromussa left. The rest ..... all are dead. Lost the lot:cry:cry:cry:rage:rage:rage:(:(:(:banghead:banghead:banghead fuck!!!!!!!

TunaBlue

Dec 16, 2014
Hey mate how you finding the gyres and the ecotech pumps, i seen you changed up your pumps abit between the two styles, im currently about to order my pumps for my system. be interested in what you recommend... Also whats your flow rate about 70 times?

TunaBlue

Dec 16, 2014
God i just read your tank journal from the start, not a very happy ending. all that progress wiped from a bag of sand.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
God i just read your tank journal from the start, not a very happy ending. all that progress wiped from a bag of sand.
Was chatting to a LFS and they had a recent case similar to mine. Perhaps there could have been ammonia spike.
I should have put it in a bucket and tested it.

To answer your pump question, I like the gyre but they are suited to a constant speed. I broke all the impellers by ramping up and down the speed. Hence changing to vortech.
Vortech are not without issue either, I come home to hear my brand new quiet drive making a noise at least once a week. I switch it off and reposition and it's good to go again.
Regarding flow I believe that you can get away with a little or a lot with SPS . It's unlikely that even 70 time is enough energy for the demand of SPS. I ran my gyres at 80 percent and the vortech on reef crest mode and I would still try to recreate more flow.

So moving on to the next tank journey.... might strike it up today

TunaBlue

Dec 16, 2014
Was chatting to a LFS and they had a recent case similar to mine. Perhaps there could have been ammonia spike.
I should have put it in a bucket and tested it.

To answer your pump question, I like the gyre but they are suited to a constant speed. I broke all the impellers by ramping up and down the speed. Hence changing to vortech.
Vortech are not without issue either, I come home to hear my brand new quiet drive making a noise at least once a week. I switch it off and reposition and it's good to go again.
Regarding flow I believe that you can get away with a little or a lot with SPS . It's unlikely that even 70 time is enough energy for the demand of SPS. I ran my gyres at 80 percent and the vortech on reef crest mode and I would still try to recreate more flow.

So moving on to the next tank journey.... might strike it up today
Sweet yeah that's what i was thinking were they the maxpect gyre or one of the other brands on gyre?
Also did you run a filter sock? i'm finding the more i read the more people with little sps don't use a filter sock but for sps dominant tanks a filter sock is a must