News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
We're Back
Hello everyone,

What a day! The reason all of these issues were happening was... wait for it... Wordpress.

Because of the errors, time was spend looking into the DNS as the faults seemed to be DNS related, even though all measures were taken to ensure downtime would remain at a minimum. Once the site was shifted over, a few errors were expected. When the site started going completely crazy, DNS was checked over and any problems were looked at (again, they seemed to be related to the DNS).

However, it was Wordpress causing all of the trouble. For some reason, it interfered with the forums (even though they are not currently connected) and was spitting out rewrite rules in different areas for no apparent reason. Because of this, I took down the main page and moved the forums back to the root directory. This has solved the problem.

TAPATALK USERS - Please update your settings. Simply delete The Reefuge and re-add it again.

Here is the technical specs of the new server for the fellow computer geeks here. Please keep in mind, this server is not shared with other sites, and it only here for the future of The Reefuge and LavaPixel Networks.

OS Version: CentOS release 6.3 (Final)

Linux Kernel Version : 2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64

CPU Architecture Details:

Architecture: x86_64
RAM: 8GB
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
CPU(s): 8
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-7
Thread(s) per core: 2
Core(s) per socket: 4
CPU socket(s): 1
NUMA node(s): 1
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
CPU family: 6
Model: 42
Stepping: 7
CPU MHz: 3192.434
BogoMIPS: 6384.86
Virtualization: VT-x
L1d cache: 32K
L1i cache: 32K
L2 cache: 256K
L3 cache: 8192K
NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0-7
Hard-Disk: 500 GB ( Implemented in LVM )
Backup: 100GB Off-Site weekly backup

Thanks.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Might be worth adding a message (or redirect) at /forums if you can - that is my bookmark and it just shows nothing ... only by looking at my alerts did I know it was up and running.

Anyway glad you are running again, was worried for a while it was all going to disappear!

[edit]also just curious whether any data was lost? I had an inbox alert showing earlier which I couldn't get to as it crashed the page, but now my last inbox message is from yesterday evening?

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Might be worth adding a message (or redirect) at /forums if you can - that is my bookmark and it just shows nothing ... only by looking at my alerts did I know it was up and running.

Anyway glad you are running again, was worried for a while it was all going to disappear!

[edit]also just curious whether any data was lost? I had an inbox alert showing earlier which I couldn't get to as it crashed the page, but now my last inbox message is from yesterday evening?
Done.

Yes, there was an hour or so worth of data lost during the change. We tried to keep data loss as small as possible, but a few posts and messages got deleted during the swap. We apologise for this.

Thanks.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
So I'm on my phone now because Firefox and ie aren't working. @DavidS got me to clear some stuff but now I can't access the chat room. The only way to access the forum is with the /board url where nothing works anyway.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello @Buddy,

This sounds like a DNS problem. Can you please flush your DNS on your computer. There is no /board folder anymore.

Thanks.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Yep I already did that. It seems after I do that everything works until I log in, then everything stops working again

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
I am absolutely certain it is your cache. The page you are seeing is the wordpress site. That got deleted this afternoon. There is no trace of it on the server - at all. What you are seeing is stored on your computer, which is why you are getting the readings. You must clear your cache, all temporary internet files, etc. This will fix the problem.

If you use firefox go to Tools >> Clear Recent History. Select everything from the drop down menu except "saved passwords" and flush it out.

Thanks.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I must have cleared that cache 10 times now, internet explorer is doing the same thing too, even after clearing it.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Also I just uninstalled and re installed Firefox.. no difference

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
I must have cleared that cache 10 times now, internet explorer is doing the same thing too, even after clearing it.
It is a problem from your end. It has nothing to do with this website or the server. What you posted solidifies it. The ping shows the correct server IP (new server), the image shows something that got deleted this afternoon.

Aside from a DNS flush and a cache dump, I am all out of ideas.