Reef Discussion

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
No problems, but if you have a PO4 test kit, you can do it yourself.

Just set up 10 L of fresh NSW or ASW in a bucket and do a PO4 test.

Use a small pump to circulate / returnthe 10L of water through your reactor for 24 hours.

Do another PO4 test. This will tell you if the GAC brand purchased leaches PO4....:)

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
OK the carbon by k&j is brilliant !!
Still can't believe this stuff is $8 a kilo.

Had expensive carbon before and although it was good this stuff does the same if not better job for $8

Thanks guys

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
Are you sure this is not acid washed ? If so, it is possible phosphoric acid was used during manufacture to remove any water soluble matter / ash, etc. AC washed in phosphoric acid may leach PO4, I would do a PO4 test just to be sure...

With AC, you only get what you pay for.....I find pelletised AC to be superior to granular types....but this is comparing the seachem granular to the Rowacarbon pelletised AC. Another point worth considering, coconut shell AC is not ideal for water use, much better to use coal or wood based AC.

Hope it all works out will for you....cheers:)

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Have a listen to the latest ReefThreads podcast. 1hr of sandbed substrates and Carbon talk.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
You know im an avid listener to reefthreads and was really looking forward to that podcast. However may of been over my head as i still don't really know whats better or how to optimise its use.

However, This weekend going over to passive carbon bag in sump, presoaked for 24hrs prior to use in initial 90deg c water to assist with phos removal from carbon.

Also kind of understood from reading / podcast its better if the carbon does its job over a longer period before it gets saturated and not shock the corals in sudden chemistry changes Thus the passive bag approach rather than forcing water through a carbon reactor.

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
A bag of carbon is a waste of time. The performance is poor. If you don't want apparent shock to corals, (I'm yet to experience this as an avid carbon user), just use far less GAC in your reactor. There's no need to fill the reactor, a cup of GAC is adequate in a reactor such as the TLF 150.

Cheers...:)

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Totally agree on the efficiency side bag ver reactor however since reading the zeovit recommendation on the use of passive carbon bags and I and others have lost SPS milli to RTN the day after carbon change I think there maybe something to this passive use. I have just swapped over from reactor to bag so maybe Ill wait a couple of months before commenting and see if clarity or other changes in the tank occur. I am really not keen on more maintenance of moving the bag around every few days and a rinse every week however I like the idea the carbon is not too efficient and it provides a more even influence over a 4 week period.

Rob

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
as to what carbon I use, I don't use it in marine (though only recently returned to marine) or in freshwater for the past 15 years or so..

I do use Macropore (purigen) as I find it does remove pigments from the water (freshwater is crystal clear with it) and it does remove nitrogenous organic, reducing the overall waste processed by your bacteria and hence resulting in lower nitrates over time (compared to the same system without it)..

Maybe I am wrong but I am not sure what Activated Carbon is meant to remove?
- organic waste true but macropore does this, doesn't leach back into the system and lasts a good amount of time and more easier to see when it expired.. I don't recharge as I don't go through it (my freshwater tanks are nano) fast enough to bother, just replace when used up..
- Metals, well using RO/DI and ASW I shouldn't have too much heavy metal in the tank and water changes should take care of it in freshwater tanks, though in northern Melbourne my water quality from the tap is rather stunning..
- Trace elements and micronutrients that I want in my tank, not so good..

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works and prepared to take a beating/flaming ;-) I just never understood using carbon when it is so unspecific in regards to what it removes?

girlz0r

Apr 17, 2013
as to what carbon I use, I don't use it in marine (though only recently returned to marine) or in freshwater for the past 15 years or so..
I do use Macropore (purigen) as I find it does remove pigments from the water (freshwater is crystal clear with it) and it does remove nitrogenous organic, reducing the overall waste processed by your bacteria and hence resulting in lower nitrates over time (compared to the same system without it)..
Using Purigen in salt water. Love it.

Haven't ever had a problem with it. EXCEPT when we decided to put purigen which we used in a freshwawter aquarium to remove brown tannins, into a salt water tank. The salt just drew out all the crap the purigen had soaked up... Never again.

Other than that I've found it great, and it's rechargeable too. SO more expensive initially but in the long term it costs basically nothing.

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
LOL yes use fresh purigen moving from freshwater to marine...

Sorry shouldn't laugh..

Have a look at Macropore, same product but generally cheaper, I get it from 'The Tech Den' in 2L tub.. $82 for 2L vs $149 for Purigen, and 2L should last a very long time..

lorby

Nov 26, 2012
I use seachem for the low phosphate content. A lot of cheaper carbons are loaded with po4