Reef Discussion

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
What Do You Dose?
Hi all,

curious to see what everyone is dosing in their tanks. Share if your willing!
Sam

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
Randy formula (powders from 100% reef safe) with dosing pump, though just alk and calcium at the moment as water changes seem to be keeping my magnesium very high (but I do have some ready)..

Also some phytoplankton to feed the skimmer, lol ;-)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Randy formula (powders from 100% reef safe) with dosing pump, though just alk and calcium at the moment as water changes seem to be keeping my magnesium very high (but I do have some ready)..

Also some phytoplankton to feed the skimmer, lol ;-)
Is that just the simple powdered stuff that they sell in the 1kg batches??

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
  • 1/4 cup phyto every now and then with some rots
  • bicarb soda when alk is low
  • damp rid when calc is low (which is never)
  • regular water changes keeps everything else at nice levels
  • Forgot to add: continuum 'bio viv M' to supplement any feed I add

Last edited:

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Yeah just mix that up with RO water... Though I bake the Bi Carb first as suggested in Randy Recipe..
Awesome thanks mate, do you dose as needed or at a particular rater? Just about to start dosing myself so few questions from personal experiences need be asked :P

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Calc, alk and mag - randy's slop made from whatever quality grade of chemical I can buy in quantities that make all and sundry believe I'm running a drug lab. It's on a dosing pump on my display system. It goes through a fair bit of the stuff despite being light on the SPS. Usually a lot of small doses throughout the day rather than bigger, less frequent doses.

Anything else probably comes in a Brightwell bottle - KoralColor, Zooplanktos-S, Microvore, Reef Snow,Vitramin-C, Restor, and whatever else I've forgotten. Combinations of which, when and how much vary greatly. The frag system sometimes gets some of this, but at the moment is on a Red Sea diet while I try to replicate some results I've had in the past. Zooplanktos, Microvore and Reef Snow tend to be stuff I frequently throw in. The others are for specific uses. I had debated using their Lugols Solution as an additive for a while, but given its cost and the potential risk I've gone back to just using that as a dip.
Anything that gets added has some rational reason for going in - specifc corals that consume what it adds, potential growth benefit, colour benefits, third hand information from a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy that dosed something and his tank mutated into an ultra wanker grade SPS farm, etc. I tend to try different things as they're suggested to me and I see what happens. I can't even remember what half of them do any more. I worry about that when the bottle's empty :P Dave @ Deer Park is pretty good to talk to about Brightwell products, and @K&J Aquatics carry a pretty good supply of their gear.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
i got mine from bunarong ages ago
calcium i will go through in 1 year but magnesium and alk will take 3 i think. its very strong stuff, much more than the red sea liquid versions.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Randys cal,alk and mag. Also zeo amino acids and coral vitalizer. Plan on running a few other zeo products down the track. Also brightwells replenish, koralcolor and potassium. On Fridays Reeflections get their fresh brine in so usually let them swim around in some 100% reef safe aminos too.

Miller

Dec 4, 2012
traralgon
I dose
Randy's 3 part alk ca mg daily with kamoer dosing pump
Sponge power every night
Zeobak every second night
K balance every day
B balance each day
Zeostart3 every day
Zeo iron sup once a week
Zeostrontium once a week

KirTracid

Aug 4, 2013
3 part, although I rarely need to supp mag
potassium powder most days
I run full Zeo so theres a bunch of other random dosing most ppl don't care about
phytoplankton occasionally
Other than Zeo I don't dose much else. Although we don 't know what's in Zeovit it's stood the test of time, unlike 95% of these other supps available.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Multiple times each day through Dosing Pump
Red Sea Calc and Strontium
Red Sea Alk
Red Sea Mg
Zeo Start 3
Zeo Sponge power
Zeo Food
Elos Trace Elements