Tank Journal Archive

Bobbo

Oct 17, 2015
What Have I Done?!
Ok, update time!

First off Critter ID please!
What are these!? They look like crabs? i don't know where they came from. I have found at least 2 of them. Only found them tonight, with lights off and torch out.

IMG_6731.JPG
IMG_6730.JPG
IMG_6732.JPG

Nothing new to report, No deaths or additions so to speak of. (y) I have ordered a new skimmer because I've got a problem with Green/brown hair algae and i don't think the standard Boyu skimmer is cutting the mustard. I've ordered a Tunze 9004 Skimmer in hope that it will fix all my problems. I've been doing weekly 30% water changes since for ever. but levels are still up, corals are all happy and growing. so i think its the skimmer.

we will see. What are my crabs?!

Last edited:

Bobbo

Oct 17, 2015
Next question. How do i remove them? trap? a bigger crab to eat the little crabs?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I would not use the 'bigger crab' option :rolleyes

I have heard of an angled glass with some bait in the bottom working ....

or a skewer :eek

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Definitely get rid of them. They say a coke bottle with bait inside works. I've never had crabs myself.

..I just couldn't resist....
awww.masa.asn.au_phpBB3_images_smilies_rtaw_roflmao.gif

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Unless they are damaging something just leave them be. I've found its very rare they will cause a problem and I don't like seeing them being removed from tanks after we bought live rock wanting life. They make excellent clean up crew for eating left over food and if you have a few they may release larvae into the water regularly to feed coral and plankton loving fish - can't get fresher food than that.

I had an injured fish once that was recovering well and resting on the rocks a lot and a crab got it. Was a bit peeved but can you blame the crab, not really. Thats nature and it was a one-off isolated thing. I also think the crabs are beautiful :)

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I have written on the internet about my experiences with crabs before and have received a diverse range of responses...

People usually say get rid of them and so I would probably suggest that in general.

However, I actually feel the same way as Agent M above. Further, I was fortunate enough to get a type of crab in with my live rock that only appears to eat algae. I see scrape marks on my live rock from where the crab has been feeding. I have had them for over two years now. In the past I did kill a few, mostly because of what other people suggested, but regret having done that.

The only damage my crabs have done has been the damage to my coral beauty's fins. This is because my coral beauty has a habit of backing into anything unusual in the tank. This includes the crabs and anything that happens to fall into the tank. The crabs retaliate by pinching off bits of the coral beauty's fins.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
If no harm, leave him be.

I have a crab i think in a niche of a LR and I think it look bigger than yours. So far so good, I only lost 2 Orchid but everything else is okay.

Bobbo

Oct 17, 2015
A red light? I'm guessing that doesn't startle everything like a normal torch?

I'm guessing they've been in there since October, and haven't done any harm yet, so they can stay! was just a surprise to find something new like that!

gigglypig

Feb 15, 2016
I have anout a 5cm crab in my 45cm cube. It just sits between the liverock, doesnt really bother anyone.
You find many interesting things with a torch after dark